Most definitive way to determine scope failure

I got the scope back from Leupold with no repairs required. While it was at Leupold for warranty evaluation I purchased and mounted a Burris XTR II and got the same results. 200gr Bergers, 200 accubonds, 180 accubonds, 180 bondstrike, 181 hammers,166 hammers,175 LRX, and 175 Terminal ascent are the loads I tried in this rifle. The 180's had a few decent group sizes, just not where I was aiming, and not consistent patterns. Two different scopes, three different mounts, multiple shooters, a plethora of different ammunition. The only logical conclusion is that it was the rifle. I really wanted to sell the rifle but I doubt it'd sell after disclosing why I'm selling it. Add in the cosmetic blemishes and I'd be lucky to get 500 bucks for it.
I shipped it to a reputable gunsmith for a complete teardown.
Thanks for the update.

I was told it was bedded so tight that it was not advised to remove it from the stock because it would be difficult. As far as barrel contact, it passed the "dollar bill test" , so no I don't believe that is the culprit.
I never knew there was such a thing as a too tightly bedded gun.

I never knew there was such a thing as a too tightly bedded gun.
If you bed the lug without any clearance it’s pretty tight. You usually need an action puller tool to lift it straight out or they won’t come out easily at all. You also run the risk of chipping/damaging the bedding if it isn’t pulled straight up.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back