Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana's Impossible Housing Situation

You guys think housing is insane should look at day care next. Until last month I was paying more for day care than my mortgage
No kidding. And you're fighting for the chance to pay that much. We paid $1200 for the first month that our daughter wasn't even in daycare just to hold our spot for when my wife's maternity leave ended.

No kidding. And you're fighting for the chance to pay that much. We paid $1200 for the first month that our daughter wasn't even in daycare just to hold our spot for when my wife's maternity leave ended.
It’s insane on one hand it’s only 35 a day but on the other it’s 1700 a month

It will effect everyone that relies on any type of service, like mechanics, lawyers, plumbers, carpenters, etc. This is another reason why our divorce rates are so high

Many LEO positions as well as teaching positions have sat empty a long dang time because those folks can't afford to live in the communities that need them.

I’m very lucky in that I built my house 12 years ago for as much as people are purchasing lots in my area of the same size now. I have three kids and though children are seeds scattered to the wind when they become adults, that didn’t seem to be the case in the Montana I grew up in. Most people I graduated high school with are still here somewhere. I hope my kids can stick around if they want.

My high school aged daughter wants to attend UM western to get a degree in teaching. I am still pretty financially ignorant, and was financially idiotic until my wife straightened me out, but it’s been interesting to have conversations with her about her desired profession in that pursuing it means living a life of poverty in a large portion of the state she calls home. I do think there’s a lot of value in hustle and living like a dirtbag and making sacrifices to get somewhere and it’s perfectly OK to do that, but her path to homeownership will be very different than mine was. A part of me makes me think I should start planning for it for her now.

The new neighbors I have, and there are many, who are fleeing the the states from which they are coming with money much bigger than used to be around here are nice folks. That said, and I won’t go into it too much, they are certainly washing away a culture and have no idea what this place was like only 20 years ago. Maybe it would’ve happened anyway.

There is a significant number of trust funders in Gallatin Valley. Like jaw dropping.Don't remember the % , ...info from a banker who is good friends with a work partner.
Guess this was a long time ago, I rented a small farm house for 14 years, $175/month. Could hunt birds and deer at will right out the door. Those were simpler times.
Sure glad my mortgage is no longer, and 100% debt free.

hey enough of you get fed up with it come on down here for our high paying aerospace, healthcare, and tech jobs. maybe we can flip this place back to purple.

lotta elk and mule deer.

i'll be the guying zippin north on the interstate to laramie in a uhaul and a middle finger out the window.

Seems relevant :)
I vaguely remember much smarter people on here telling me my limited 11th grade economics knowledge wouldn’t become reality.

Coincidently the exact amount of money we didn’t ask for that appeared in our account for a married couple with 4 kids still in the house was just about the same amount that equals 20% of a 3 acre lot in 3 forks at the time. Gues we missed out on the big screens but I’ll leave the money we stole from our kids in our will so they can have it back.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember much smarter people on here telling me my limited 11th grade economics knowledge wouldn’t become reality.

Coincidently the exact amount of money we didn’t ask for that appeared in our account for a married couple with 4 kids still in the house was just about the same amount that equals 20% of a 3 acre lot in 3 forks at the time. Gues we missed out on the big screens but I’ll leave the money we stole from our kids in our will so they can have it back.
Meh you (they) stole it from your retired self too

hey enough of you get fed up with it come on down here for our high paying aerospace, healthcare, and tech jobs. maybe we can flip this place back to purple.

lotta elk and mule deer.

i'll be the guying zippin north on the interstate to laramie in a uhaul and a middle finger out the window.
Another greenie invading wyoming :) tale as old as time.

Wyoming is what america was. Wish i could go back.

Retirement is over rated, people die when they retire, if I can walk up the mountain I can work, if I can’t walk up the mountain than why live? Feed yourself to the grizz and save the planet.
Luckily we don’t have to walk up a mountain to feed the grizzly anymore!
Life insurance for the misses accordingly. Sharp stick until mortally wounded and then you can avenge yourself with a 10mm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back