Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Judge Says Landowners Don’t Have ‘Absolute Freedom’ to Kill Elk, and Allowing Public Hunting Doesn’t Infringe on Their Rights

Landowners are the biggest Poachers of them all,always has been that way.
Back in the 90's had a guy in Enterprise Utah sitting behind his house shooting Deer/Antelope without a tag every single year,not one neighbor said anything.

This is a complex issue. I see a couple ways to resolve it.

1. Create a private land only license for permit areas grossly over objective population. This puts more pressure on the private pushing elk onto accessible areas.

2. Cow only seasons until elk are under population objectives.
The Elk B tag only allows me to take a cow on private land. Change this so I can take a cow with that tag on USFS land!! I asked Game commission,: do you think the elk know where the property boundries are? If one wonders over on to public land, why shouldn't that tag be good?

Last edited:
That is why i appreciate the wording of this ruling basically says the state already has programs to help their problem, if they refuse to use the programs its on them. Hopefully the access program will see a slight bump.
And more importantly, the judge said: when you bought the land, you should have known that there were elk on the land. You bought it at your own risk. That is stunningly obvious but needed to be said by the judge.

I took Eric's post to mean private land tags to be sold to the public, not provided to the landowners to sell or transfer. Why would a landowner suddenly open up his ranch if he had tags to sell when he could have charged an access fee without them?
I meant it nothing like the picture you’ve just painted.

I haven’t found it that hard personally. I’ve had conversations with several landowners in units with shoulder seasons that haven’t had a single person ask.
Out of curiosity- how do you get in touch with them? Drive up to the house and knock? Look them up in the phone book?

Out of curiosity- how do you get in touch with them? Drive up to the house and knock? Look them up in the phone book?
Ah yes, I should have clarified. Mine has been through knocking on doors or meeting people at different events. I’m fairly social and tend to meet people at random.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back