MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana game pack out?

Unfortunately, you have to pack it all and bury any blood that may be present. The grizzlies are endangered and they prohibit letting them get lead poisoning from carcasses.
Since I plan on soloing in about 10 miles, can you recommend a ultralight weight shovel to carry? No way I want to pack the guts out that far.

Since I plan on soloing in about 10 miles, can you recommend a ultralight weight shovel to carry? No way I want to pack the guts out that far.
I’ve found a Yeti titanium spork does dual duty when I’m in that far. You can also just burn them if it comes down to it. Take paper plates and you can Ontario hunter them. Once they are dry you use them like logs to start the gut pile on fire.

You guys need to stay up on the regs. They changed them if you are over 5 miles from an established road you no longer have to burry the guts

You guys need to stay up on the regs. They changed them if you are over 5 miles from an established road you no longer have to burry the guts

This is true, but you need to read the fine print that requires you to sleep in the gut pile for one night in homage of the life of the elk of you don’t plan to bury or pack the guts out.

“This might smell bad, kid.”

This is true, but you need to read the fine print that requires you to sleep in the gut pile for one night in homage of the life of the elk of you don’t plan to bury or pack the guts out.

“This might smell bad, kid.”
That is only out of the GYE area. The grizzly recovery area has the 1/4 mile exception.

Have you ever tried to move a moose with the guts in. I had all I could do to just get it to the trailhead before I got them out. There was no way I was lifting that into my Subaru.

Figures. Someone too weak to lift a moose drives a Suby. Fitting.

Sorry man, I was exhausted. Dragging her then having to try and lift her? No way, just digging the hole for the guts about killed me. I did my sleep time in the car but I still couldn’t lift her. The hatch is too low that I can’t stand under it. So it’s more about lifting mechanics than brute strength. Maybe if I would have had a winch or something to pull her in.

Montana has a new hybrid lift system called logger wenches. You’ll find them in small bars in rural towns and if you’re nice to them they will pour you a beer and load your moose. Most will insist on riding in the cab when you go to load the moose instead of sitting on the bumper. I’ve never seen a bumper mounted wench.

Montana has a new hybrid lift system called logger wenches. You’ll find them in small bars in rural towns and if you’re nice to them they will pour you a beer and load your moose. Most will insist on riding in the cab when you go to load the moose instead of sitting on the bumper. I’ve never seen a bumper mounted wench.
Solid lead there, thanks!

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget
Back