Caribou Gear

Metal Detectors for finding shot in upland birds

Walkathon

Looking at getting one of the small hand held metal detectors to try to find shotgun pellets in my pheasants, grouse, etc...

I found 2 online and don't know anyone who has used these before, so I don't know if they work, for starters, or if one is better than the other. Huge cost difference between the two.

Pinpoint handheld metal detector $20
Garrett Pro $130

I eat quite a few birds every year, and I end up biting a pellet every now and then, even though I run the pieces over a mag light (like an x-ray) to find most of the pellets

Anyone have experience with these types of detectors and finding shotgun pellets? I'm 49 and I don't need another crown :)

I went with a $16 one I found on Amazon. Haven’t crunched a pellet yet, and pretty confident it’d work as I tested it pretty extensively with the size shot I’d be hunting with. (I.e, pheasant/#4, duck/#2, goose/BB) the thicker breasts I did have to flip and scan the other side, didn’t reliably pickup a pellet just on the surface through a ~2” goose breast, if that makes sense.

Honestly any of them are cheaper than a crown, I would have gladly upgraded to the Garrett but just didn’t see a need from the $16 one I got.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creek 1-1
Back