Making a job change possibly...what would you do?

You know what? You asked what we would do. Apparently the money isn't a deal-breaker or you wouldn't even be considering it. The new job provides the insurance needed for your wife. Extra time off, less pressure, more time to relax and enjoy. 7 more years is a long time. Screw it. Go for it and enjoy the freedom!

It took you 22yrs to figure out teaching demands your time during a hunting season?
Believe it or not, there are teachers who can 1. Use their sick days like personal days as they see fit, 2. Get more than 2 PTO days a year, and 3. Can take unpaid leave for trips. My district is not one of them. I don't really understand the condescending undertone of your post.

Can you get your finances in order to sprinkle in a couple 6mo-1yr breaks in as you work toward your 8 yrs left in teaching? Assuming you could find comparable teaching jobs when you’re ready to start working again?

Believe it or not, there are teachers who can 1. Use their sick days like personal days as they see fit, 2. Get more than 2 PTO days a year, and 3. Can take unpaid leave for trips. My district is not one of them. I don't really understand the condescending undertone of your post.
If there is something in the new contract you don’t like, you can leave. But it was voted on by the union, so most agreed with the structure. I’m sure it doesn’t work for everyone, maybe you. But I am sure that teaching in the fall has been pretty standard in every state since the 19th century. There are teachers on this forum that seem to find a way to work around it. Let me know via pm. The problem is every district is different. But it might help give you perspective of other districts in the US.

If there is something in the new contract you don’t like, you can leave. But it was voted on by the union, so most agreed with the structure. I’m sure it doesn’t work for everyone, maybe you. But I am sure that teaching in the fall has been pretty standard in every state since the 19th century. There are teachers on this forum that seem to find a way to work around it. Let me know via pm. The problem is every district is different. But it might help give you perspective of other districts in the US.
We don't have a union. Scott Walker eliminated collective bargaining for teachers with Act 10. There is nothing to vote on.

Can you get your finances in order to sprinkle in a couple 6mo-1yr breaks in as you work toward your 8 yrs left in teaching? Assuming you could find comparable teaching jobs when you’re ready to start working again?
I'm not sure if that would be possible. I carry the insurance so leaving to take a sabbatical means no health insurance.

We don't have a union. Scott Walker eliminated collective bargaining for teachers with Act 10. There is nothing to vote on.
I think we can agree Scott Walker is a jackass. But the end result is the decision is yours. Another election is coming up. Maybe others will be triggered by this discussion to reexamine their vote…but I doubt it.

Guys, it's not the money...it's the schedule of the new job that is what I'm interested in. I don't want to necessarily switch jobs just to have the same limiting schedule...it's my time that is my priority.
Fair enough. If it's that clear to you I guess it's time to go for it.

I don't think most folks understand how rigid the schedule is.

You aren't taking off a week in September to hunt elk and a week in October to hunt deer. No way.

You get 2 or 3 personal days for the entire school year.

If you play your cards right and draw the tags maybe you use veterans day, all of your personal days, and a "sick" day for a week long trip, but then you come back to the classroom 2 weeks behind.

Edit: also my wife has to be in the classroom starting the last week of August through the second week of June.
I'm not trying to be inconsiderate to teachers. However, there are a LOT of jobs out there that don't really allow you to take off much time on your schedule.

Last edited:
No union or collective bargaining means you can try to negotiate what you want. You could also go to another district for better deal. Private schools is another option. $40k is essentially $20/hour which is trivially above minimum wage for full time. You still have 2 days a week off, can you fo us hunting there? Just about everyone sacrifices hobby time for work.

Are kids in your future? If yes you need to factor that in

No union or collective bargaining means you can try to negotiate what you want. You could also go to another district for better deal. Private schools is another option. $40k is essentially $20/hour which is trivially above minimum wage for full time. You still have 2 days a week off, can you fo us hunting there? Just about everyone sacrifices hobby time for work.

Are kids in your future? If yes you need to factor that in
I don't think you understand how this works. We can't negotiate anything. There is no negotiating...period. Private schools don't get you a pension. You aren't part of the Wisconsin retirement system in a private school.

What is it that you do for a living?
This conversation I may really be coming off as a asshole but my wife has also worked in athletics at a college for over the last 15 years it’s a labor of love she is over worked and under paid such as yourself. I tell her the same shit if you don’t like it quit. She is worth more but even at a college level the money isn’t there. By trade I’m a journeyman lineman. The gives up a fair amount of my time to teach a apprentice class for a utility that is across most the state of Montana

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nk84
Back