Making a job change possibly...what would you do?

I'd argue it IS the money, somewhere above you said your wife was in favor of option 3 which is less of a cut.

Can you explain why with the sick time you can't "be sick" more often? My wife and son are teachers and using sick time, with some restrictions, isn't a issue.

Personally and without know much more that is none of my business, I would not take that pay cut

$40k sucks. That's what my starting pay was out of college in 1995. I'd be using my summers and evenings to get into another field like a skilled trade. Hvac, welder, etc.

I'd argue it IS the money, somewhere above you said your wife was in favor of option 3 which is less of a cut.

Can you explain why with the sick time you can't "be sick" more often? My wife and son are teachers and using sick time, with some restrictions, isn't a issue.

Personally and without know much more that is none of my business, I would not take that pay cut
After COVID, it has become very difficult to find substitute teachers. If I call in sick, it often falls on my colleagues to fill my teaching spot which means they lose out on their prep periods. They get a measly 25 dollars to sub, but they usually don't know about the responsibility until they check their email the day of. It's truly a pain and I hate it when I have to lose my prep because someone calls in and there is no sub.

Would my wife prefer option 3....sure. Would she support me no matter what I do... absolutely. I have a great wife.

A 40% pay cut is huge. I was in management once upon a time, it was awful. Lots of hours, no OT pay, caught crap from above and below, etc. I decided with my wife's support to start over as an hourly employee in another industry, it was a 30% pay cut to start but within a few years was back to what I'd been making.
I have 180 days/year off and none of the stress I had in my previous job. It all worked out great, but I don't think I'd be willing to walk away from a full pension that's 8 years away without a chance to get back up to your current salary.

There are only two jobs worth having. One you make enough and have enough time to do what you love. The other you just do what you love.
I agree whole heartedly. I never made much money, but I worked at a job I liked and had all the free time I could handle. Of course, the job changed so that I no longer enjoyed it. So, I retired early. Took less money in retirement but now I have nothing but free time and still get by alright.

Clearly you are not happy with the way things are. Take the pay cut and enjoy your free time. You can still keep on looking for another job that may pay more and still give you the time to hunt. You may find out you are less happy with the way things turn out or you may find that life is perfect. Who knows? Like they say, "You regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did that didn't work out"

You can always go back to teaching. Over the years, my BIL has quit teaching twice and his job as school principal once. This year he is back in the classroom. Seems like there is always an opening for experienced teachers.

Is not your problem that the time off is not when you want it? Educators are normally off mid-May to mid-August.

It would be hard for me to take a pay cut that would impact my family to focus on something only I would want to do/benefit from. That is me.

Our tech ed teacher came from the Dakota's and he said their district did this as well. I don't really want to uproot my wife since she seems like she has found her dream job, but moving out west would be in my opinion the best!
Moving out west creates a lot of divorces.

In your opinion, is less money and more time to do what you love worth it?
Original question above. Answer is it depends on how much money you have.

Guys, it's not the money...it's the schedule of the new job that is what I'm interested in. I don't want to necessarily switch jobs just to have the same limiting schedule...it's my time that is my priority.
This is confusing. If it isn't about the money, then the decision is easy. No? I don't think the responders get the impression you were independently wealthy, so they commented on the money. If it isn't about the money, quit and go hunting.

Have I tried talking to the school counselor about what?
Could start with being institutionalized. You may think the school needs you they don’t. It’s the same at a utility guys act like the world will quit spinning if they retire. So either take your off and whatever other perks come with your job or quit. Whatever choice you make the entire thing is your fault for letting it get to that point.

Could start with being institutionalized. You may think the school needs you they don’t. It’s the same at a utility guys act like the world will quit spinning if they retire. So either take your off and whatever other perks come with your job or quit. Whatever choice you make the entire thing is your fault for letting it get to that point.
What gives you the impression that you feel I think I am not replaceable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nk84
Back