MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Low/mid grade over under

Brandon270

After my cheap semi auto broke on me and successfully limiting out on doves 2 days in a row with my 23 year old single shot, I'm getting the bird hunting itch. While a Beretta/Browning or the like would be great they are just out of my reach any time soon.
I'd like something that I can use on dove and quail as well as the monthly night skeet shoots at my local range. There's a lot of cheap over unders out there, (tri star, pointer, stoeger, savage etc.). I've been looking at a couple in the next price range like the cz woodcok hard case and weatherby orion both in 20ga. Are these any more reliable or better built than the cheapest over unders, or are they all the basically the same? I'd like to keep it under $1,000 If possible. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Stevens/Savage 555. I have one in 16ga and love it. I'd recommend going to a place that has a few I stock so you can look them over as far as fit and finish. For the price point, I'd say they feel nicer and have a much nicer/smoother break in the action than others I that price range. The enhanced version also ejects the shells, which I really like.

12 or 20ga Winchester 101 field or if you can, pigeon grade. They are classics at ~40 years old but my family has been shooting them that long with zero issues. At the upper end of your budget and worth every penny given their build quality.

CZ all the way. My shotgun was around half of your max budget if I remember correctly and it's been reliable and accurate for me. It feels like the higher price point guns without the expensive price tag.

12 or 20ga Winchester 101 field or if you can, pigeon grade. They are classics at ~40 years old but my family has been shooting them that long with zero issues. At the upper end of your budget and worth every penny given their build quality.
Here's mine: Winchester 101 pigeon grade xtr featherweight. 6.5# in 12g, 28 in barrels. Former trap club house gun, thousands of rounds through it. Made me a better shooter.
IMG_0762.JPG

The CZ & Weatherby options are perfectly fine & serviceable and you can usually find good specimens on a used rack as well. The old Weatherby's were SKB made (Japan) and of great quality for the price. If you can find an older Weatherby Orion in good shape, grab it. It's twice the gun for the price.

Used is where the deals really are

The CZ & Weatherby options are perfectly fine & serviceable and you can usually find good specimens on a used rack as well. The old Weatherby's were SKB made (Japan) and of great quality for the price. If you can find an older Weatherby Orion in good shape, grab it. It's twice the gun for the price.

Used is where the deals really are
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately most of the local gun stores cater to the tactical crowd so nice hunting guns are hard to come by both used and new.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately most of the local gun stores cater to the tactical crowd so nice hunting guns are hard to come by both used and new.

Well a new CZ or Weatherby isn't anything to be ashamed of, that's for sure. Just shoulder them both before you buy, and pick the one that feels best!

You might be surprised how cheap you can get a Browning/Beretta used. Do take a look.

I agree that fit is very important if you want to have more hits. Well, unless you are like two of my old hunting partners that hit everything no matter what gun you gave them.

Here's mine: Winchester 101 pigeon grade xtr featherweight. 6.5# in 12g, 28 in barrels. Former trap club house gun, thousands of rounds through it. Made me a better shooter.
View attachment 340718
Beautiful. Wouldnt trade mine for anything. Family has a super-pigeon and pigeon grade 101 in 12ga 28", a 20ga pigeon grade 101 26", and then two SXS Model 23's, 26" and 28" barrels. Heirloom guns for us.

Fairly biased as these guns come up naturally and shoot so well. The 12ga 101 easily has 10,000 rounds through it. Only issues ever are replacing the firing pin springs.

IMG_5329.jpeg
Ive retired it from waterfowl hunting but it took a nice pair of early season green-heads long ago.

@Brandon270 If you can, get your hands on as many of these recommended guns before you buy one. Im sure you know the feeling handling the one that feels right.

After my cheap semi auto broke on me and successfully limiting out on doves 2 days in a row with my 23 year old single shot, I'm getting the bird hunting itch. While a Beretta/Browning or the like would be great they are just out of my reach any time soon.
I'd like something that I can use on dove and quail as well as the monthly night skeet shoots at my local range. There's a lot of cheap over unders out there, (tri star, pointer, stoeger, savage etc.). I've been looking at a couple in the next price range like the cz woodcok hard case and weatherby orion both in 20ga. Are these any more reliable or better built than the cheapest over unders, or are they all the basically the same? I'd like to keep it under $1,000 If possible. Any suggestions?
I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the Orion 20 gauge, I’ve shouldered one at the store and felt sweet.

Why go low-mid grade when for a few big macs more can get a lightly used beretta 686?

The beretta onyx I've seen on GB fairly often in the $1k to $1200 range...less engraving but functionally same as silver pigeon

I've also seen a handful of miroku o/u 20ga w 28" barrels on gb for $800 or less if you keep an eye on it...essentially the same gun as an older browing citori but does have the downside of not having interchangeable chokes.

Just some thoughts.

Why go low-mid grade when for a few big macs more can get a lightly used beretta 686?

The beretta onyx I've seen on GB fairly often in the $1k to $1200 range...less engraving but functionally same as silver pigeon

I've also seen a handful of miroku o/u 20ga w 28" barrels on gb for $800 or less if you keep an eye on it...essentially the same gun as an older browing citori but does have the downside of not having interchangeable chokes.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for the suggestions, trying to balance not blowing a tight budget but still getting something I can use for lots future seasons. I'll keep an eye out on gun broker.

Thanks for the suggestions, trying to balance not blowing a tight budget but still getting something I can use for lots future seasons. I'll keep an eye out on gun broker.

Two thoughts on buying online, and a double in particular:

Know your length of pull. A lot of the German guns are long with a lot of cast off (for right handed shooters). Fit on a used double is really important, as it's an undertaking to get the fit right if you aren't in the ballpark off the bat. Fit with older guns is doubly important since you're probably going to find a lot of fixed choke guns.

Importing an used double into California will increase the cost a little bit. Vendors will see your state and may not ship to it in order to avoid the hassle of importing to CA. Be care ful to fully read the descriptions on gunbroker or gunsinternational. Used - local shops will usually have a window of return policy in case something goes wrong they didn't anticipate. Online you are likely on your own. @BrentD may know of some central CA resources as well.

What I like about the CZ and the Orion is that they're solid guns and for the hunter, will last your lifetime with little maintenance or breakage. Being modern manufacture, they will have modern steels, choke tubes and very versatile plus you get a warranty, and gunsmiths that will be up-to-snuff on working on them in most locations.

It's a fun journey. Always remember that if a firearm speaks to you, it's meant to be. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back