Long-range Muzzleloaders

What is your effective hunting range for your open sight muzzleloader?

• 50-100

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • 100-150

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • 150-200

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 200-250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200-300

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 300+

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

NVDesertHunter

Most of the states I hunt in prohibit scopes on muzzleloaders. Curious what ranges people are shooting big-game with "long-range" open sight muzzleloaders. I have a T/C and my farthest shot on game is 130yds but curious how far a semi custom set-up can reach out to. thanks

My longest shot was a 130 yards per my range finder. 50 caliber maxi ball pushed by 85 grains of 2f Goex. Used factory TC adjustable sights on my Hawken. I was much younger with better eye sight than now. Complete pass through the lungs on a 4x4 Whitetail. About a 30 yard dash and he piled up. Less than a 5 mph wind that evening. Gusting wind will eat your lunch if you are not paying attention.

I voted 150-200 yards. I've never fired it over 125 yards in the field but can ring my 9 inch gong everytime out to 200 yards. I feel under the right circumstances I'd be able to make any shot inside 200 yards. Although @ccc23454 is right big difference in aiming at a elk and a deer/pronghorn at 200 yards. Here's my longest muzzleloader kill from last year in NM 125 yard heart shot.20231101_092346.jpg

Last edited:
id say ethically 100-150 yrds is what i picked,,,though in 2020 i was able to get a 5x5 in idaho at 240 yrds w open sights after my missed warning shot,,put it about 18" over the top of its back and it laid it right in there,,plus ill take a little luck on it too.

I have a Williams peep sight on my T/C Black Diamond. I do pretty well out to about 150 yards with it.

This bull was taken shortly after Idaho changed to its current muzzleloader requirements. A short time before I spotted the bull (about an hour), I shot right under a wolf at the same range. So, I knew where to hold on the elk.

BTW - I usually hunt at the snowline, hence the different camo. 😀

IMG_8322.jpeg

Last edited:
I’d say it really depends on a lot size of target and backdrop has a huge effect on being able to see it.
Once I switched to the peep it made the shots much easier

I have a Williams peep sight on my T/C Black Diamond. I do pretty well out to about 150 yards with it.

This bull was taken shortly after Idaho changed to its current muzzleloader requirements. A short time before I spotted the bull (about an hour), I shot right under a wolf at the same range. So, I knew where to hold on the elk.

View attachment 338078
Your camo set up is beyond reasonable.

View attachment 338078
Like that picture.

I don’t know about “beyond reasonable”, but “Beyond Fleece” are the pants I was wearing in this photo. 😀

BTW — I know of a bighorn killed within the area covered by this photo, just not by me.

025_25.jpeg

Aperture/peeps and a 6 o’clock hold help. I’d be confident on a moose/elk at 150 with my encore w/ skinner rear sight and 100 on a deer with same setup. A v notch hawken id subtract 10-20 yards.

In Iowa I can use a scope and I personally think 150 yards is far enough. With open sights for my colorado elk hunt a couple years ago I put 100 yard limit for myself. Any further than that with or without a scope I feel that's when animals get wounded instead of a kill shot.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back