Kenetrek Boots

Lobster Hunt 2024

birdman27

I went a 3 day lobster hunting trip last week in the Northern Channel Islands here in CA. I haven't been bug hunting in a number of years, so I was hoping I wasn't too rusty. Turns out, it comes back quick.

We got on the boat Wednesday night and motored out to the backside of Santa Rosa Island. Woke up to this beauty.
PXL_20241011_010222626.MP.jpg
We did 6 dives all on the backside that day due to the wind and swell. I caught 5 bugs, which was pretty good as we were not seeing a ton of lobster. One of them was pretty big. This is my bag after that day:
PXL_20241011_010352399.MP.jpg
That evening, we motored to a protected anchorage with plans to get over the the front side of Santa Cruz Island for the next day.
Day 2 of diving was really beautiful, but very low in lobster numbers. I caught one, my buddy caught none. I think the total for the boat before the night dive might have been in the single digits. 5 dives that day. I didnt go on the night dive, but they found a cavern full of bugs and came back with plenty. This is sunset that day.
PXL_20241012_005254862.MP~2.jpg
We motored over to Anacapa that night, waking up to clear skies and a great day of diving ahead.PXL_20241012_133211366.MP-EFFECTS.jpg
Day 3 of diving was the best and my favorite. The first dive of the day, around an "underwater island" felt like diving in an aquarium. So much life. Didn't hurt that we found lobster again! We did a total of 4 dives that day. I helped 2 people get their first lobsters of the trip and I walked away with another 5 bugs that day, for a total of 11. I also grabbed 6 large scallops and would have had more if I had an iron.
During pack up, it was finally time to weigh the big lobster (the very first one caught on the trip) and take some pics. He ended up being 7 lbs, my personal biggest and the largest on the boat for the trip. I almost think the trophy pose takes something away from it, because he was as long as my torso, haha.
PXL_20241012_211207727~2.jpg

The trip was a ton of fun, exhausting as hell and an experience I wont forget soon. I have enough lobster for dinners throughout the year and I beat my wife's imposed quota of 4 lobster within the first day!

That looks like sweet trip.
How deep are you diving and see any sharks? Don't the channels have a pile of them?
My deepest was around 80 ft for this trip. Probably found most of them 40-60 ft. I saw a bunch of horn sharks, but nothing bigger (well besides sea lions and one massive, friendly, harbor seal)

I went a 3 day lobster hunting trip last week in the Northern Channel Islands here in CA. I haven't been bug hunting in a number of years, so I was hoping I wasn't too rusty. Turns out, it comes back quick.

We got on the boat Wednesday night and motored out to the backside of Santa Rosa Island. Woke up to this beauty.
View attachment 345022
We did 6 dives all on the backside that day due to the wind and swell. I caught 5 bugs, which was pretty good as we were not seeing a ton of lobster. One of them was pretty big. This is my bag after that day:
View attachment 345026
That evening, we motored to a protected anchorage with plans to get over the the front side of Santa Cruz Island for the next day.
Day 2 of diving was really beautiful, but very low in lobster numbers. I caught one, my buddy caught none. I think the total for the boat before the night dive might have been in the single digits. 5 dives that day. I didnt go on the night dive, but they found a cavern full of bugs and came back with plenty. This is sunset that day.
View attachment 345027
We motored over to Anacapa that night, waking up to clear skies and a great day of diving ahead.View attachment 345029
Day 3 of diving was the best and my favorite. The first dive of the day, around an "underwater island" felt like diving in an aquarium. So much life. Didn't hurt that we found lobster again! We did a total of 4 dives that day. I helped 2 people get their first lobsters of the trip and I walked away with another 5 bugs that day, for a total of 11. I also grabbed 6 large scallops and would have had more if I had an iron.
During pack up, it was finally time to weigh the big lobster (the very first one caught on the trip) and take some pics. He ended up being 7 lbs, my personal biggest and the largest on the boat for the trip. I almost think the trophy pose takes something away from it, because he was as long as my torso, haha.
View attachment 345030

The trip was a ton of fun, exhausting as hell and an experience I wont forget soon. I have enough lobster for dinners throughout the year and I beat my wife's imposed quota of 4 lobster within the first day!

Excellent! I used to surf and fish out there all the time, love those islands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Covenant01
Back