MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Leupold "Alumina" scope covers

A-con

Has anyone used the Leupodls "Alumina" flip up rifle scope covers ?
Are they worth the money, $80 a pair vs $18 for Butler creek ?
I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to buy them, then need to replace them with the cheap ones.

Both my son and I have them on our scopes and they work great. They are much better than the cheap ones. They have push buttons to open them, you use both thumbs. It is much easier and smoother than it sounds. Also they can be flipped all the way over flat against the scope, so they are completely out of the way. I would never go back to the cheap ones.

My Leupold has the AO bell so Butler Creeks didn't really work. The Alumina covers are spendy but look and function very nice, at the same time I've always been happy with Butler Creeks as well, tried some other cheap flip-ups that I didn't care for at all. If price isn't an issue I'd go with the Alumina covers.

The ones I had used magnets instead of having to try and force them closed till they sealed. Liked em alot.

I have one on the objective lens of a 6x42 fixed power Leupold Scope on my .300 WSM. I had trouble with it unscrewing so I used some electricians tape after putting them on tight. Problem solved and the tape blends with the Matte finish. Any scope cap does limit light transmission. The Butler Creek caps would only last a few years for me until the hinge broke. These screw on caps do seem expensive for what they are. The magnets for closure are nice.

Got mine off of Ebay and there were several stores on there selling them for a VERY discounted price, worth looking into. They work great, nearly a must have in my book after using them.

I think they're great. A bit spendy at full price but if you find a deal they're well worth it.

They are worth every penny and are hands down much better than the Butler Creeks

Ditto what cowboy said and they don't cover the nice gold Leupold rings! I have them on both of my main rifles, one on a VXI and the other on a VXII. I choked when I paid what they want for them, but they are well-made like the scopes they are made for, will last forever, and I'm very happy I bought them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread Acon...didn't know about the eyepiece guards...could've used em on a few scope kisses. 2 on the way.

Leupold Alumina Rubber Eyepiece Guard
Leupold Alumina Rubber Eyepiece Guard - Adds a soft, finishing touch to the eyepiece of your scope to protect you from recoil during extreme uphill shooting angles and from heavy recoiling rifles

I called leupold and they said these would fit on a new redfield scope , I must get a set of these!

I bought a set for the scope I am putting on my custom.They seem real nice I can let you know more after the rifle is done and I get to use it for awile.I would say they are better than the butler creeks atleast they have alot cleaner look anyway.

There is really no comparison between Butler Creek caps and the Leupolds and there shouldn't be with the huge price differential!!! I saw a lot of guys complaining about having to take their scope off their rifles to install them on the Cabelas website reviews. They obviously didn't realize that you open the cover and then screw the main piece the cover hinges on into the scope threads while holding the outer cover. If you try to install them closed by turning the entire unit and your scope sits real low to the barrel the front cover will not screw into the threads because the hinge hits the barrel. Once the entire cover is screwed tightly into the threads, you then hold that main piece and turn the outer cap/cover into place so the hinges are on top. They make a beautiful addition to a rifle/scope and you will like them on your new rifle.

Last edited:
Rarely do you ask for a product opinion and get 100% positive reviews.
I'm going to order them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullkillintime
Back