Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Landowner Tags...your thoughts?

Thanks for the additional info and opinions.

I do know that not all landowners who participate charge anything for the access. They also don't draw them every year either.

There are a lot of landowners that dont even know about the program, especially on the Eastern Plains here in CO, but the *^%$&(# Outfitters are spreading the word as fast as they can :mad:

Thanks for the additional info and opinions.

I do know that not all landowners who participate charge anything for the access. They also don't draw them every year either.
true not all people are greedy , but most are.

The way I read how the l a p program is set up you get 1 application for every 640 acres most of the guys in idaho making a business out of selling our wildlife own 10,000 plus acres now that's a lot of apps don't you think? On top of that in the best units with the highest demand for tags 20 percent of the tags was not enough for the lap program so they raised it to 25% of the tags for the best and hardest to draw units. That's a lot of money at $10000 a tag.
For all of you who say you're afraid of snakes on here(sfw) start speaking out against these programs or next year it might be 30 percent or 50 percent. There's a snake in the grass somewhere.

true not all people are greedy , but most are.

The way I read how the l a p program is set up you get 1 application for every 640 acres most of the guys in idaho making a business out of selling our wildlife own 10,000 plus acres now that's a lot of apps don't you think? On top of that in the best units with the highest demand for tags 20 percent of the tags was not enough for the lap program so they raised it to 25% of the tags for the best and hardest to draw units. That's a lot of money at $10000 a tag.

Idaho landowners do get an application for every 640 acres, but they can only draw 1 tag per species. Basically it is a bonus point system. The exception to the 1 tag rule (updated in 2011) is that landowners with 5,000 acres can apply for a second tag, but only if the second tag is a left-over after the first drawing.

Now, for my humble opinion.
As with any limited tag system, those who get tags are happy, those who don't get tags are not. People who are unhappy often ask for a change to the system. This is how we end up with preference points, bonus points, landowner appreciation, etc. These systems can change the social, political, geographic, and economic make-up of the tag holders, but they don't make more tags. Some of these systems give people hope and keep them playing the application game, but in the long run they don't put more hunters in the field.

The world is far from perfect, so moving on... back to the original question of this thread.
It seems that landowner tags work reasonably well when they are for antlerless or "management" quality hunts. In those cases the incentive for abuse is minimal. The landowners are given extra opportunity in managing the herd that affects their own property without seeing extra incentive to block the general public.

[antlerless or "management" quality hunts] seems to be a reasonable qualifying phrase. My question is how many landowner tags are for antlerless or truly wildlife management hunts?

The prevalent greed that results from the landowner tag system typically relates to high prices paid for the tags, but not for tags for antlerless. The greed stems from the commercial value of access to trophy animals.

Last edited:
[antlerless or "management" quality hunts] seems to be a reasonable qualifying phrase. My question is how many landowner tags are for antlerless or truly wildlife management hunts?

The prevalent greed that results from the landowner tag system typically relates to high prices paid for the tags, but not for tags for antlerless. The greed stems from the commercial value of access to trophy animals.

I don't believe in Idaho there are any and the tags are for the whole game unit and not just the landowners property.

In the past I've put in for and drawn an antlerless tag in unit 11a. Up until the provision was changed to allow the tag to be given to an "agent" of the landowner the place that I've hunted would allow either sex hunting on the property. Once they were allowed to give the tag and sell access for it the chance of hunting a buck on his property stopped. I can't control what a landowner does with his property but he shouldn't be rewarded with a tag if he doesn't allow a certain portion of the general public the opportunity to hunt a public resource----our game animals. This was not the original intent of these tags. It is what greed and political influence, in both the legislature and the IDFG Commission, has done to the program over time.

Pat

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back