KHunter ID archery elk 2024

Khunter

headed to Idaho today what should be another fun solo Elk Hunt.

My traditional road snacks such as this are out in favor of celery, carrot sticks, grapes blueberries and a well reasoned effort towards undoing the damage old habits caused me to get several heart artery stents in the last month.

IMG_0787.jpeg

Last year it all came together i. Idaho on the second to last day of the season on what was to be my final day of actual hunting. That thread is floating around here somewhere.

IMG_8464.jpeg

Been working exceptionally hard to rehab and get heart and body in shape this hunt. cardiologist reviewed all the compiled workout data, including EKG, etc., and cleared me this morning to get after it.

Anyway, hope to have some fun (to me) encounters to share along with some photos win lose or draw. All I have is a week to hunt this year

Last edited:
Good luck. I always look forward to your threads.

Dang, that sucks about the heart troubles. Maybe you should have gone with Little Debbies instead of the Hostess Donettes.🤔

Good luck!

Elk bugling last night while trying to sleep. And I was still down in the private land flats, on edge of where road heads up to mountains to my hunt area.

Ran into and ‘camped’ with a great guy from utah who I met on the trail on this hunt at dawn last year as he was back packing into and beyond the area where I was hunting. he’s barely 31 years old and has a lot more juice for a pure all backpack hunt than me for sure. Went our separate ways this morning but I’m sure will keep up via Inreach to share reports on Elk activity.

Putting Idaho’s awesome motorized hunting rule to good use again by bringing camp in via ATV. ATVs are strictly forbidden for use by hunters on atv trails unless you are retrieving an animal or very specifically bringing in your camp after which you can’t use ATV for any tooling around at all. Sure cuts down the road hunting nonsense and provides better hunt quality near atv trails that many are hiking instead of riding.

I bet there’s 30 hunters 1-2 miles downhill from me with all the folks who don’t wanna “rough it” so are hunting and walking from their large campers each morning instead of setting a more primitive camp they could bring in via ATV to get camp in a little deeper into the elky areas. I am happy they’re super comfortable and even happier I’m not scrambling to get ahead of them every morning.

On the ATV…6 man and backpack tent in case need to spike out, a cot, bow, a week of freeze dry food, few gallons water, a mini yeti for luxuries with 3 frozen dinners of moose green chili, moose/lope stroganoff, elk sausage spaghetti and elk breakfast burritos. doctors orders to emphasize comfort for this hunt! At least that’s the way I heard it when he said you don’t go completely balls to the wall and keep an eye on your heart rate and blood pressure. Oh yeah, I brought my blood pressure measuring device.

image.png

Last edited:
terrible cell signal around here. 4:42 am, hitting the trail afyercgettingvback 10:15 last night. Got close on a bull yesterday morning. And not especially close in evening. Both bugling pretty well.

No cell to post bull photos.

Light bugling morning and not much in evening till dark.

Darn sheepherders still pushing sheep around so having to hike further to dodge that mess. thought they were supposed to have a them out of the mountains by now darn it.

Had a decent run at a bugking bull this am. Cow busted out and ended it.

awoken from a snooze by bugling at 12:30 after trailing the elk to where I thought they brushed up.

Hoping for a busy afternoon. I am on a ridge I picked to nap and await midday bugles, which often happen in my experience. Sure beats hiking back to camp.

bugling came from bottom of photo about 250 yds from me. First spot with enough cell to post a llw res photo.
image0.jpeg

Last edited:
terrible cell signal around here. 4:42 am, hitting the trail afyercgettingvback 10:15 last night. Got close on a bull yesterday morning. And not especially close in evening. Both bugling pretty well.

No cell to post bull photos.

Light bugling morning and not much in evening till dark.

Darn sheepherders still pushing sheep around so having to hike further to dodge that mess. thought they were supposed to have a them out of the mountains by now darn it.
They pull them off between the 18th nd the 23rd.

…and then sheep, dogs and herder come over the ridge and push the bull and as it turns out 4 cows out. One cow came by me in wide open at 35 yards and the bull at 60. No stopping them and watched thwm boogie right over a saddle 1500 yards away and out of the basin.

Evening I went back to near morning encounter spot bc had seen two bulls across creek from me that morning.

Sure enough they were there and bugling late evening. The good sounding bull was closer but not visible and be seemed to be 600 ft below and 500 yards out best could tell.

Ending up dropping 300 ft and darned of did not call him right up to me. Never saw him, but I think I heard him across the creek and I did hear the usual Elk moving through timber noises. He got within 50 yards of me and winded me right after bugling and took off.

Have shared more than a few first rifle mornings with banging gates and whistles (cattle)...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back