Just more Utah garbage

TheTone

So too many elk on a private, high dollar hunting property so the state moves in and kills them and does the best they can to keep it quiet. Pure awful IMO

If Utah officials really need to find land for more housing I move they start with this ranch and other lds holdings

I can't get past the paywall.
Dang, looks like they changed it since earlier today. Basically lays out how the state killed 137 cow elk on Deseret land and livestock property to reduce elk numbers and over objective issues and tried really hard to make sure the public didn’t know. It also had some of the associated costs which were pretty high. All while the property continues to operate as a great place for influencers to kill for content and make big bucks off selling hunts

All tge work pkeeping those elk inside the gate via chopper, seems like maybe just open the gate and push them out?

Winter of 23' I-84/ I-80 wiped out a ton of elk, snow took a bunch more.

Tge surrlundi g public land isn't over objective

All tge work pkeeping those elk inside the gate via chopper, seems like maybe just open the gate and push them out?

Winter of 23' I-84/ I-80 wiped out a ton of elk, snow took a bunch more.

Tge surrlundi g public land isn't over objective

There was no chopper keeping elk inside a CWMU. These are not high fence areas. The elk are free to come and go as they choose. Most will stay because it's the best gig in town.

spewing lies doesn't help anything.

I lay the blame squarely on the UDWR. There are ways to get these elk killed during the structured seasons already in place. They can and do strongarm some CWMU's into killing more antlerless animals. That is what should have been done in this case. If the Deseret was in jeopardy of losing bull tags, I guarantee they would have found multiple ways to get their public hunter's success rate up.

Read above how Utah, and five CWMUs, are using public hunters to address the over population of elk in certain areas. Who was a major voice in getting the public involved in reducing the overpopulation of elk? Tom Land, the CWMU operator for Deseret Land & Livestock.

Leave it to the Trib to publish a nonbiased article... :rolleyes:

Read above how Utah, and five CWMUs, are using public hunters to address the over population of elk in certain areas. Who was a major voice in getting the public involved in reducing the overpopulation of elk? Tom Land, the CWMU operator for Deseret Land & Livestock.

Leave it to the Trib to publish a nonbiased article... :rolleyes:
So it was good for other places but not on his cwmu?

So just out of curiosity are there any UT residents on here who can gimme the 30,000 view of the hunting situation for y'all? What are the biggest hurdles? Is it hard for residents to draw tags consistently? Are populations of game extremely decimated. I'm just curious to learn what exactly makes it so bad, particularly for residents.

So just out of curiosity are there any UT residents on here who can gimme the 30,000 view of the hunting situation for y'all? What are the biggest hurdles? Is it hard for residents to draw tags consistently? Are populations of game extremely decimated. I'm just curious to learn what exactly makes it so bad, particularly for residents.

Sure.

As a resident, I can apply for the following limited entry hunts (limited quota, including CWMU*) each year:
Deer, elk, or antelope - must only choose one
Mountain goat, bison, desert bighorn sheep, rocky mountain bighorn sheep, or moose - must only choose one
*CWMU - cooperative wildlife management units, comprised of mostly private land - landowners are compensated with saleable/transferable tags in return for allowing public hunters hunting opportunities on their land
Bonus point drawing - 50% of the allocated tags for the top point holders, 50% of the tags randomly distributed

General hunts:
General deer (multiple different units, seasons, weapons, etc.)
General elk (unlimited archery elk, split season for general rifle with the second season being unlimited tags available, late muzzleloader season)

Antlerless hunts:
Deer, elk, or antelope - can apply for each, every year
Ewe sheep, or moose - must only choose one

Biggest hurdles: Utah is NOTORIOUS for pimping out its wildlife to the highest bidder. Just take a look at the news articles about a wildlife board member being caught baiting, canned lion hunts, sheep killed in the wrong unit, Hunt Expo drawing conspiracies, conservation tag sales, etc. Utah sure has a reputation, and rightfully so - with certain groups and outfitters getting slapped on the hand for some pretty insane offenses. Additionally, like all other western states, Utah's population is exploding. There's only so much winter habitat for wildlife in Northern Utah, and it's shrinking by the day with Utah's obsession for developing every patch of dirt available.

Drawing tags: It takes a little planning, but one can draw a tag to hunt something, pretty consistently. It's definitely not like some other states where drawing/having elk, deer, and antelope tags each year is the norm.

Last edited:
Then why weren’t public hunters used to address this??

Good question, I'm not sure, call the UDWR. The article I referenced is for 2024 and beyond - a little reactive, instead of proactive. The state runs the show, even on private land which isn't much different than other states. For example, it wasn't too long ago that DL&L got a phone call from WYG&F stating that if DL&L didn't round up "its" elk and push them back over to the Utah side, WYG&F was going to start killing them as the elk were destroying valuable mule deer wintering grounds on their side of the state line. DL&L was given a deadline to get the elk out of there or else. Would that story make the news? Was WYG&F going to let residents come and kill all the elk - nope. I helped round up the elk, it was a fun time.

And why does it still cost money to go there to shoot a cow elk if they’re so over populated?

Good question - probably because like any other state, Utah cares about money. Also, it's in the state code 23A-4.

Last edited:
Good question, I'm not sure, call the UDWR. The article I referenced is for 2024 and beyond - a little reactive, instead of proactive. The state runs the show, even on private land which isn't much different than other states. For example, it wasn't too long ago that DL&L got a phone call from WYG&F stating that if DL&L didn't round up "it's" elk and push them back over to the Utah side, WYG&F was going to start killing them as the elk were destroying valuable mule deer wintering grounds on their side of the state line. DL&L was given a deadline to get the elk out of there or else. Would that story make the news? Was WYG&F going to let residents come and kill all the elk - nope. I helped round up the elk, it was a fun time.

Good question - probably because like any other state, Utah cares about money.
I meant why does DLL charge for people to come hunt cow elk on its lands?

It’s not quite a state issue since the cwmu has so much say over its seasons and is given so many tags to sell. It’s one website pretty well lays out that’s it’s a playground for those with money

I meant why does DLL charge for people to come hunt cow elk on its lands?

It’s not quite a state issue since the cwmu has so much say over its seasons and is given so many tags to sell. It’s one website pretty well lays out that’s it’s a playground for those with money

Again, great question! Since the cow elk tag is issued by the state, for a certain unit, DL&L has no authority to dictate what the state can and cannot do when charging license fees. Each CWMU must follow rules of the program outlined by the state including season dates, tag numbers, etc. But, to your point, purchased tags for antlered animals on DL&L are for the wealthy!!

Last edited:
Sure.

As a resident, I can apply for the following limited entry hunts (limited quota, including CWMU*) each year:
Deer, elk, or antelope - must only choose one
Mountain goat, bison, desert bighorn sheep, rocky mountain bighorn sheep, or moose - must only choose one
*CWMU - cooperative wildlife management units, comprised of mostly private land - landowners are compensated with saleable/transferable tags in return for allowing public hunters hunting opportunities on their land
Bonus point drawing - 50% of the allocated tags for the top point holders, 50% of the tags randomly distributed

General hunts:
General deer (multiple different units, seasons, weapons, etc.)
General elk (unlimited archery elk, split season for general rifle with the second season being unlimited tags available, late muzzleloader season)

Antlerless hunts:
Deer, elk, or antelope - can apply for each, every year
Ewe sheep, or moose - must only choose one

Biggest hurdles: Utah is NOTORIOUS for pimping out it's wildlife to the highest bidder. Just take a look at the news articles about a wildlife board member being caught baiting, canned lion hunts, sheep killed in the wrong unit, Hunt Expo drawing conspiracies, conservation tag sales, etc. Utah sure has a reputation, and rightfully so - with certain groups and outfitters getting slapped on the hand for some pretty insane offenses. Additionally, like all other western states, Utah's population is exploding. There's only so much winter habitat for wildlife in Northern Utah, and it's shrinking by the day with Utah's obsession for developing every patch of dirt available.

Drawing tags: It takes a little planning, but one can draw a tag to hunt something, pretty consistently. It's definitely not like some other states where drawing/having elk, deer, and antelope tags each year is the norm.
Thanks for the summary. If I understand this correctly residents can pick up general hunt tags each year? Though I would imagine those hunts are probably not very well managed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archaic hunter 63
Back