Caribou Gear

Jasper wildfire/climate change

So back on topic, it appears that only 1/3 of the town was burnt down (still terrible),and the majority of downtown survived. This is the good news. The bad news is the majority of what did burn down was residential housing. Lots of families without homes now, without basically everything actually.

The real pissoff is that Parks Canada, federally run, was in charge of the fire response. They have limited firefighting capabilities, do not have the ability to do night firefighting for example. The provincial government’s wildfire capabilities do include night firefighting, better water tankers both on the ground and in the air, and the ability to assign firefighters from other regions to battle the fire. Parks Canada did not ask for any help from the provincial government until it was too late, probably because the feds and the province are constantly at odds. This has cost people their homes. If there was any time to bury politics, this should have been it. Yet it didn’t happen.

Sorry, the firefighting budget had to be shifted around so they could hire New Zealand "sharpshooters" to shoot deer from helicopters.

I'm obviously being facetious, but you can purchase significant wildland firefighting capabilities with 12 million dollars.

Sorry, the firefighting budget had to be shifted around so they could hire New Zealand "sharpshooters" to shoot deer from helicopters.

I'm obviously being facetious, but you can purchase significant wildland firefighting capabilities with 12 million dollars.

That’s the Liberal government and Trudeau for you lol

Home owners should make sure they have defensible space and do some smart fire preparedness ahead of time. Its not the job of wildland fire fighters to risk their ass to save a house.
I agree that failing to mitigate for wildfire is indefensible. Still, a 300 foot high wall of fire advancing at jogging speed or faster has a long reach, and makes its own fire weather as it runs.

I agree that failing to mitigate for wildfire is indefensible. Still, a 300 foot high wall of fire advancing at jogging speed or faster has a long reach, and makes its own fire weather as it runs.
Yeah, saw it the 8 years I fought fire from 87-94.

Also got tired of attending funerals of friends that died trying to save trees, brush, and peoples homes who wanted a house in the woods.

Again, I'm not much interested in risking lives to save a house.

Firefighting may be more expensive than you think. 12 million wouldn't pay for 1/2 of a new CL215. Could get a couple of Firebosses though.

Wildlife aerial work is not cheap, and very dangerous. Probably better to compare the cost of the best hotshot crew with full aerial support. Not sure you'd find that much difference in cost.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me. Hopefully they can do an analysis of this situation and make some changes that help for the future. You suggestions on response may be good, but it is up there with those that say "we aren't harvesting enough timber". It deflects from addressing the real problem.
I can't speak to the situation everywhere, but when push comes to shove loggers often won't do the job needed.

They'll cut what they want...high grade the best wood...and leave enough behind the area is still a fire risk.

I don't always blame them for thst...getting enough removed and doing that safely isn't easy.

I do blame them for overstating what they will do if given the opportunity though.

We have a lot of budworm killed fir right now and can't give it away...and both state and federal foresters are trying hard to move it. Had a big fire fueled by the stuff last year.

I can't speak to the situation everywhere, but when push comes to shove loggers often won't do the job needed.

They'll cut what they want...high grade the best wood...and leave enough behind the area is still a fire risk.

I don't always blame them for thst...getting enough removed and doing that safely isn't easy.

I do blame them for overstating what they will do if given the opportunity though.

We have a lot of budworm killed fir right now and can't give it away...and both state and federal foresters are trying hard to move it. Had a big fire fueled by the stuff last year.
Was talking with the guy that rents my house who works at the district office this morning. Put 2 timber sales out for bid, not one offer.

That's a lot of work to go through to not get a bid.

Firefighting may be more expensive than you think. 12 million wouldn't pay for 1/2 of a new CL215. Could get a couple of Firebosses though.

Wildlife aerial work is not cheap, and very dangerous. Probably better to compare the cost of the best hotshot crew with full aerial support. Not sure you'd find that much difference in cost.

I mean wildland equipement, not air assets.

I've done a lot of wildland firefighting. The right equipement with the right amount of crews can do a whole lot.

Oh I know forests in recovery are great grounds for hunting. But this summer, right after this, I think I'll give the big ungulates a break, and just go after a couple whitetails on grazing leases around town, and call it good.
Taking a mouth off the range might be helpful to the herd.

That’s the Liberal government and Trudeau for you lol
Dubz, I was speaking with a friend that I grew up with the other day. We grew up in a Florida community that got dead centered by a class 5 hurricane. He said “it’s just not the same when I come back”. It’s painful to see the places we love ravaged by destruction. Be strong. Better days are ahead.

Was talking with the guy that rents my house who works at the district office this morning. Put 2 timber sales out for bid, not one offer.

That's a lot of work to go through to not get a bid.
Mills are closing left and right, and lumber prices are back down to pre pandemic levels. Not a surprise that there were no bids right now.

"The mill cited a litany of reasons for the shutdown to the Blue Mountain Eagle, including a “lack of a willing and drug-free workforce,” rising production costs, government regulation and an unfavorable timber market."

"The mill cited a litany of reasons for the shutdown to the Blue Mountain Eagle, including a “lack of a willing and drug-free workforce,” rising production costs, government regulation and an unfavorable timber market."

Good luck in Oregon finding a drug free workforce. Some people squatting in USFS have a fair chance of starting a forest fire while cooking meth.

In NE Oregon it seems at times lumber is (clear) cut off corporate owned land while USFS selective logging occurs less often. Then the companies plant reprod thats fast growing but lower quality

No idea how we got here, and I tried to be polite at first, but this is getting a bit much.

Christianity or Sun God/Paganism?
  • The birth date of most of the sun gods is December 25. It's the date of the winter solstice and the date adopted by the church as the birth date of Jesus Christ. The December 25 date is given even though the Bible says the shepherds were in their fields when Jesus was born, meaning Jesus had to have been born in the spring (Luke 2:8).
  • At the time of the winter solstice, the sun "dies" for three days starting around December 22, when it stops its movement south; it is then born (resurrected) on December 25, when it begins its movement north.
  • The sun was seen as traveling through the 12 signs of the zodiac. It's possible Jesus' 12 disciples symbolized the signs of the zodiac. The sun gods often had disciples or attendants (although not always 12 in number).
  • The pagan gods had magical births, and some were born to a virgin. The gods frequently impregnated young human maidens.
  • The pagan gods often had titles like “The Light of The World,” “The Way,” “The Good Shepherd," etc. These names have been used for Jesus Christ.
  • The pagan gods sometimes had a “Last Supper” with their followers before their deaths.
  • The pagan gods often were resurrected after death.
  • Baptism was a common ritual among the followers of the mystery cults. John the Baptist may have been mimicking this ritual, importing it into Judaism.
  • The tradition of consuming bread and wine as the symbolic (or actual) blood and flesh of the god was part of the mystery religions. This corresponds to Jesus saying, “Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:54).
I could but i wont....your mind is made up.
choose to believe what you want at your own peril.

The fact the the Canadian members here don't know who funds what is humorous. Dealing with forest fires falls under Provincial jurisdiction not Federal. That includes if the fire is in a national park. You can't blame the fed's for the fact the Conservative Government has cut the firefighting budget 70% over the last 8 years. I'm not defended the Fed's here but it's Trudeau that has given ok for the military and foreign aid to come in and once again bail out Alberta.

The fact the the Canadian members here don't know who funds what is humorous. Dealing with forest fires falls under Provincial jurisdiction not Federal. That includes if the fire is in a national park. You can't blame the fed's for the fact the Conservative Government has cut the firefighting budget 70% over the last 8 years. I'm not defended the Fed's here but it's Trudeau that has given ok for the military and foreign aid to come in and once again bail out Alberta.

The fact that members here come in and spout total BS is humorous. You don’t know a single thing you are talking about. In the province of Alberta, wildfire response is a provincial responsibility, except for the national parks, which are federally run. As such, in both Jasper and Banff, Parks Canada, the federal agency, has jurisdiction over both wildfire preparedness and response in the parks. This has been mentioned in multiple press conferences. If this was not the case, do you think the feds would let taking the blame for it fly, or do you think they would issue a statement stating otherwise. So you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Also, funding for the wildfire response in AB was increased to $2B this year. See here:

Also ‘once again bail out Alberta’? Talking out your ass seems to be a hobby for you. Our GDP is the highest in Canada, seen here:

We contribute disproportionately to the CPP, seen here:

Our economy is the economic engine of Canada, and we have sent over $600 billion to the federal government over the last 50 years, funds used to help other ‘have-not’ provinces and regions of the country. There’s a reason everyone and their mother is moving here nowadays. Don’t really know why you’re so intent on spreading misinformation, but maybe you should just shut the hell up when you don’t know what you’re talking about.

pappa-sy-popcorn.gif

Ohhhh... Two Canadians arguing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back