It’s a SUPER 70’s Friday tunage

This may be the best music thread I've seen yet and I wasn't born until the late 80's....
Ya should have been here in the 60's! Credence, Big Bother, Santana, Eddie Money, Jefferson Airplane,,,,,on and on. They were playing highschool dances on weekends. I remember (sort of) hearing Credence play Susie Q in a highschool auditorium with a max capacity of 300.

1970, 15 and I start PHS. 5700 students, bussing and football in the Rosebowl.
I'm sitting in the shade of the sign in front of the school. Lunch.
A guy climbs the wall and sits above me and he starts playing the trash can. Alex is soon joined by his bro Eddie and a concert breaks out.
Alex invites me to a party where they will be playing. We never got close. The LASO and Arcadia police are trying to remove thousands of HS kids. VH.

1972 and I am in a boat with brothers playing Isley Bro's and Dock of the Bay. 8 tracks of Creedence, Doors, Pink Floyd, Jimi. The blues.

1975 and a band named Heart opens for Brother Bob at the Palladium. Steve Miller is the middle act.
A good friends bro is a drummer and we go see him play. Jim Keltner introduces me to Leon Russel and Joe Cocker. Mad Dogs and Englishmen start.
Buddies own the Handlebars Saloon,Stray Cats house band. Next door is the Icehouse where I go to see John Prine for the 1st time.

My bro is a record company guy and I get free albums and tickets from 1972 on...the Troubador and Linda. A new band called the Eagles.
Topanga and Neil Young. Joni,Joni,Joni...
The Mothers and Frank. Creedence. ELO. Marshall Tucker. The Allman bros @ Filmore West.
Low Spark of High Healed Boys. John Lee Hooker. BB. Santana.
The Isley Bros play local churches. Marvin is big.

I'm living on a ranch outside SLO town. Concerts and parties. We hand out invites to all the Polydollies. Hot tub. BBQ.
Post big show in town and Gladys Knight and the Pips pop by for BBQ, the Starship soon joins. Jackson Brown. No Nukes folks.
The SLOSO shuts down our party,peacefully.
Emmy Lou and Linda at the Rose Garden Ballroom. Steely Dan and Doobie Bros at the Camp San Luis auditorium. Creedence and JP.

Here I am today. I made it.
The list of bands I never saw far outweighs the seen.
But I got to see some of the best of the 70's. & a hundred albums.

Last edited:
Right place at the right time Hank...

1969, Merced, California...3 HS buddies and I drove from our tiny North Central TX town w/ a Vegas stopover to a wedding for a guy who was shipping to Nam to fly helicopters. First time I heard Alice's Restaurant...people in Texas didn't believe our Cali stories. Great music (the best really), friendly people, and pretty girls...a real fandango.

The guy, his name is Tandy, returned safely from Nam but the marriage didn't make it, still an awesome friend.

Right place at the right time Hank...

1969, Merced, California...3 HS buddies and I drove from our tiny North Central TX town w/ a Vegas stopover to a wedding for a guy who was shipping to Nam to fly helicopters. First time I heard Alice's Restaurant...people in Texas didn't believe our Cali stories. Great music (the best really), friendly people, and pretty girls...a real fandango.

The guy, his name is Tandy, returned safely from Nam but the marriage didn't make it, still an awesome friend.

Tell Tandy you have another friend who made it back, from the second most dangerous job.

Did I see "The End" posted.
Good battle song.
I hear it everytime I hear a Huey.
The Slick drivers were our lifesavers.

Live albums that broke the mold.

Great decade to be a kid with pocket money for dirt cheap rock shows.
$1 every Friday night @ the Rose Palace in Pasadena.
Janice & BB,Jimi, the Airplane, Big Momma Thorton, Rolling Thunder.
Closed when Lee Michaels & Frosty were so loud you could hear them across town.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lckudlock
Back