Iowa Water and Land Legacy - IWILL

Gellar

http://www.iowaswaterandlandlegacy.org/
In 2010 Iowans voted overwhelmingly in support of the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund or the Iowa Water and Land Legacy saying the next time there is a sales tax increase in the state of Iowa 3/8s of 1% will permanently go to support natural resources and outdoor recreation. Even though Iowans supported the bill by voting for it in 2010 the state legislatures have not enacted the increase. Yesterday it crossed a major hurdle by making it out of the Ways and Means commitee and onto the Senate Floor! Fellow Iowans, please contact your elected officials and let them know you support IWILL and they should too! Once funded a breakdown of how the moneys will be allocated is:

Attachments

• IWILLFundPie.png
    IWILLFundPie.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 128
Interested to see that idea. I know your neighbors, MO and MN have done some similar funding through sales tax.

Interested to see that idea. I know your neighbors, MO and MN have done some similar funding through sales tax.

In MN we did it through a constitutional amendment because of the no new tax republican stance that will only allow for user fees to add to the tax rolls. We also had an arts portion for the urban democrats to support.

However, politicians on both sides of the aisle keep trying to grab the money. Keep a close eye on them if it does pass. Our politicians have gone so far as to try and eliminate or takeover the citizens advisory board that is in place to help decide which projects the funds should be directed towards.

Good luck I'll make sure my family in IA knows that this is in the works.

Emails have already been sent as they always are when this comes up but I won't hold my breath.

In MN we did it through a constitutional amendment because of the no new tax republican stance that will only allow for user fees to add to the tax rolls. We also had an arts portion for the urban democrats to support.

However, politicians on both sides of the aisle keep trying to grab the money. Keep a close eye on them if it does pass. Our politicians have gone so far as to try and eliminate or takeover the citizens advisory board that is in place to help decide which projects the funds should be directed towards.

Good luck I'll make sure my family in IA knows that this is in the works.

They are trying to grab the money in Iowa as well, the Pie chart formula is law and is not supposed to change however.

Having recreated in both states the level of their parks, wildlife management areas, and lake accesses in my opinion are far superior to Iowa's and the sales tax is well worth it.

It seemed like such a great idea here in MN, but those of us skeptical of government weren't so sure.

Sure 'nuff, the money gets funneled into general funds and gets squandered. Oh, and it buys Green public use bicycles in Minneapolis. Can't forget that. That's important.

Emrah

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tlr1
Back