Inreach - which one

Muskeez

Mini 2 or Messenger? Is the only difference between them being that the Mini2 can be used as a GPS device? I figure if we have Onx on our phones and have the maps saved as off-line maps then we can just use that as a GPS. Mostly need the Garmin for texting back and forth to/from home.

I have a messenger Explorer + that I bought before mini existed. I like it.
Keep in mind that if you own an iPhone, iOS 18 just announced it will allow texting via satellite on iPhone 14 and newer.

Last edited:
Mini 2 or Messenger? Is the only difference between them being that the Mini2 can be used as a GPS device? I figure if we have Onx on our phones and have the maps saved as off-line maps then we can just use that as a GPS. Mostly need the Garmin for texting back and forth to/from home.
Mini 2 is also standalone, right? Messenger has to pair w your phone ?? (Garmins response to Zoleo? ). What happens if you lose your phone or phone battery dies?

for safety / critical items like GPS or emergency communications, I prefer redundancy especially if there's not a weight penalty

I have the old school explorer+ and like it.
If I were upgrading I'd go mini 2

I have a messenger Explorer + that I bought before mini existed. I like it.
Keep in mind that if you own an iPhone, iOS 18 just announced it will allow texting via satellite on iPhone 14 and newer.
That’s good intel, thanks. I was just about to buy an inreach for an Alaska hunt.

I'm a fan of the larger Explorer+. You get full redundancy for mapping/navigation, plus satellite text coms. Tracking in low power mode last 20+ days!

Last edited:
Garmin sale ends today, REI, and others, have the mini 2 for $300 and the Messenger for $250.

I have the inReach SE+ (yellow). It works well. No complaints. I picked that model because the battery life was longer then the mini and if something happened to my phone I could still easily type out a message.

Keep in mind,.usually Garmin puts items on sale before they release a new version. Mini 2 has been out for a couple years now, something new is probably coming.

I have the inReach SE+ (yellow). It works well. No complaints. I picked that model because the battery life was longer then the mini and if something happened to my phone I could still easily type out a message.
I used an inReach SE (yellow) for over a decade in Alaska and I was always impressed with the life of the battery.
I forgot to take it when we moved down to Montana for the winter, so I bought an InReach Mini which I like
because it was so much more compact.

In Alaska we used the InReach explorer to text to each other in a remote hunting camp with no cell service.
Down here in Montana, I use the mini in case I have a problem hunting solo,
otherwise it just sits in my pack, fully charged.

... Messenger has to pair w your phone ?? (Garmins response to Zoleo? ). What happens if you lose your phone or phone battery dies?

Actually, you can use Inreach Messenger standalone also. It's just a bit more awkward than pairing with phone. And you can actually charge your phone from the Messenger enough to communicate if the phone dies. (Although I haven't tried that.) It has great battery life.

Actually, you can use Inreach Messenger standalone also. It's just a bit more awkward than pairing with phone. And you can actually charge your phone from the Messenger enough to communicate if the phone dies. (Although I haven't tried that.) It has great battery life.
Cool. Thanks for setting that straight.

In that case...I dunno what I'd do yet to upgrade...keep using explorer + for now

Loved the mini, but if you are an iPhone guy with a 14 or 15, they will have satellite messaging built in (with just a software upgrade) starting this fall.

Last edited:
I've had the mini for several years now, had a spot before that.

Its principal use is for when I train dogs from horseback in an area with no cell service. It is so small that you don't even know it's there. I message my wife when I'm done riding. I also carry it when elk hunting.

I leave it turned off for the most part, the battery charge lasts a long time.

It is quite amazing how no matter where you are, you can communicate quickly across the globe. It's a far cry from when I would just tell my wife what drainage I would be hunting elk in, with no way to communicate until you got back to a landline.

All major players like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are closing in on satellites for coverage.

AT&T has partnered with AST SpaceMobile (service should start becoming available in July/August this year)
T-Mobile has partnered with SpaceX (Texting available in 2024, voice and data in 2025)
Verizon looks to be joining AT&T with AST SpaceMobile.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on any satellite messenger right now. Just buy the one that's on sale. I'm guessing most third party units like inReach or Zoleo will start to become obsolete within the next year or two.

Phone battery life can be poor with some OnX use, tracking, cold or very cold temperatures, and long days afield. Relying solely on any phone, without backup power, is just not as reliable a way to go while out in the mountains, in my experience.

All major players like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are closing in on satellites for coverage.

AT&T has partnered with AST SpaceMobile (service should start becoming available in July/August this year)
T-Mobile has partnered with SpaceX (Texting available in 2024, voice and data in 2025)
Verizon looks to be joining AT&T with AST SpaceMobile.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on any satellite messenger right now. Just buy the one that's on sale. I'm guessing most third party units like inReach or Zoleo will start to become obsolete within the next year or two.
I hopeful but will wait to see based upon rollout and actual field reports. Not sure what the cost will be from the cell phone providers or the coverage. SpaceX is launching the newer satellites that offer this capability but most of their existing ones can’t support this.

Competition is a good thing.

Even if my phone was suddenly capable of texting via satellite I would still carry my stand alone device.....same reason I still carry a compass and know how to read a paper map.

Phone battery life can be poor with some OnX use, tracking, cold or very cold temperatures, and long days afield. Relying solely on any phone, without backup power, is just not as reliable a way to go while out in the mountains, in my experience.
I agree, but a couple of external batteries are can be the same size/weight as a Garmin device, and they don’t need subscriptions, software updates, connectivity, managing website connections, etc.

I loved my mini, but can’t wait for it to become obsolete!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back