Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Inreach - which one

I hopeful but will wait to see based upon rollout and actual field reports. Not sure what the cost will be from the cell phone providers or the coverage. SpaceX is launching the newer satellites that offer this capability but most of their existing ones can’t support this.

Competition is a good thing.
This is key - competition. Apple is based on high orbit satellites and offer "text service". That is all select few high orbit satellites offer to the Apple public. Whereas Starlink is set on currently six thousand low orbit satellites.

Difference? You basically have complete phone capability with Starlink. Apple will not be able to remotely compare until they join forces with the evil Elon and his spaceX program. Starlink/SpaceX forethought to massively overwhelm the low orbit is changing everything from Ukraine war support to saying hello from the mountains.

I'll stick with Android Apple will fall in place eventually though not for the ridiculous prices for phones simply to text from camp. If one has Apple products currently, it's a great upgrade to eventually have this feature.
If one has one of the many company competition based market (free market ;) ) phones from Samsung to Motorola, I'd offer, stick with Android for Starlink vs switching to Apple and paying for a new phone merely to text.
FAR CHEAPER to buy a mini or messenger that offers much more ability than text.

Until that day:

I have my old, yet still kicking, Delorme turned Garmin explorer+. I like the very basic and time consuming text capability from the unit.
My wife has the mini and it connects with the phone for texts. Much, MUCH more simple - as is posting this from my phone.

I also value the most simple function of the SOS tab. We're talking emergency SAR extraction. Simplicity is paramount.
There are numerous steps one must do with Apple satellite to connect and maintain signal for their SOS request.

I have used InReach service (Iridium satellite) from within my tent under trees w/o issue. Meanwhile my buddy who HAD SPOT (Globalstar satellite - same as Apple) who couldn't do jack squat. I'd imagine Apple's infusion of $ will revamp Globalstar.

@Muskeez ,
InReach has a proven track record. If I was in your shoes, I'd go with the mini. OnX, photos, etc - no problems. All great value for each other . Anyone can play the "What if" game "if the phone breaks, power dies, etc. Phone works offline with mini Bluetooth connection, BTW.
The "what if" rabbit hole goes a long way.

Last edited:
If I were buying for a hunt this fall, I'd buy the mini no questions asked. The reasons have been covered: standalone SOS, small size and weight, etc etc. I'm currently using my Explorer SE and it's bulkier than I'd like, but not bulky enough to spend the $$ to upgrade.

FWIW, I also have an iPhone 14 with the sat SOS but that feature is hardly proven at this point, nevermind the other nacent tech (sat texting, Starlink, etc etc) that isn't even actually a thing yet.

The new tech is promising, but nowhere near proven. Please don't rely on it yet!

The messenger receives/sends in near real time as if you were texting.

My experience with the other models is that there’s a fair amount of delay.

I have a mini and would much prefer the larger one. The mini is fine when it’s paired and working well but it would be great not to have to use it through my phone all the time. Sounds like I’m an outlier though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back