PEAX Equipment

Idaho Seeks to Limit Scope Turrets and Rangefinders

Hawk Tuah

It appears recent discussions at IDFG meetings seem to point to a move to outlaw scope turrets. Also, there are talks to limit rangefinders to ones not capable of finding ranges over 500 yards.

Two days ago they announced they are seeking input for a hunting technology discussion group.

It appears recent discussions at IDFG meetings seem to point to a move to outlaw scope turrets. Also, there are talks to limit rangefinders to ones not capable of finding ranges over 500 yards.

Two days ago they announced they are seeking input for a hunting technology discussion group.
I can see why they might consider this - shooting out past 500 is an unethical shot for most hunters. I wouldn't feel confident in my ability to hit vitals every time from 500 yards. Too many variables.

I can see why they might consider this - shooting out past 500 is an unethical shot for most hunters. I wouldn't feel confident in my ability to hit vitals every time from 500 yards. Too many variables.
The purpose is to preserve opportunities, so I get that. I don't want OTC to go to draw.

However, IDFG can't/won't even enforce motorized vehicle restriction unit rules when people give them time-stamped photos with vehicles, license plates and faces of people committing the crime.

This won't be enforced and only law abiding hunters will lose out.

What about follow up shots on a wounded animal? If they want to limit first shots on game, then they should do that directly. Outlawing/banning/hindering accuracy doesn't seem like the right path when we also want ethical, humane kills, etc. Still, I'm willing to be persuaded, so I'll listen.

Interesting. Wouldn't effect me much. I guess the question is would it reduce take enough if only the law abiding folks are following the rule? I agree enforcement is ridiculous. I'd rather see an increase in fines for motorized stuff. Compared to non-resident tag prices I think its laughable.

Seems silly to me.

Whats to stop someone from doing it, on a scope without target turrets? Many new scopes come without zero stop - but a lot come with a resettable turret that has markings (vortex lh, for example).

Id prefer making an "open sight" or "max 4 power scope" season and an all out ban on rangefinders during that season. Im not sure you can really buy a rangefinder that wont go further than 500.

I knew this might be coming. Just didn’t know which state would be first. I love LR shooting. Do it several times a month with my Proof 300 PRC out just over 2000yds, and my AI 308, 6.5Cm, 6Cm out to 1200yds, but not LR hunting. 500 yds is my personal limit on game and has been for a while. I just don’t get excited about sniping wildlife that have no chance to sense my presence because I’m 1000yds away. To each his own.

So it will be like muzzle loading now where you need to have a different muzzle loader for different states or be swapping your stuff around all the time.

Different rifle for Idaho, different range finder, or different binoculars if your RF is built in.

Interesting.

So it will be like muzzle loading now where you need to have a different muzzle loader for different states or be swapping your stuff around all the time.

Different rifle for Idaho, different range finder, or different binoculars if your RF is built in.

Interesting.
Yup. It creates another level of expense, potentially pricing some out of hunting certain states. I don't like those sorts of 'solutions'.

Where are the specifics on equipment such as the scope turrets and rangefinders mentioned? I did find this link:

Nationwide, fish and wildlife agencies are wrestling with balancing technology, hunter success, and wildlife management objectives, and Idaho is no different. As technology advances and hunter success rates increase, agencies are left with only a few tools to ensure that hunters are not overharvesting game species and jeopardizing their long-term sustainability.

Those tools include:

1. Equipment restrictions
  2. Season timing and length
  3. Number of tags
Fish and Game has traditionally managed game species with a focus on providing greater hunter opportunity, including a higher number of available tags and longer seasons. Some members of Idaho’s outdoor sporting community have begun to express concerns related to the advancement of hunting technology and the potential erosion of fair chase ethic. However, Fish and Game also acknowledges that other members of Idaho’s outdoor sporting community do not share those same concerns.

Where are the specifics on equipment such as the scope turrets and rangefinders mentioned? I did find this link:
I think that working group might get contentious at times 😄

They are being discussed specifically at IDFG meetings.

Not sure on the enforceability or effectiveness of any of the details discussed so for but discussing limiting technology seems like a no brainer to me. Up your opps by limiting your tech.

Idaho doesn't track this like Nevada does on their post hunt surveys, but I predict if these would go into place there would be more wounded animals.

I don't have issues with setting more limitations to preserve opportunity. Idaho hunters are given surveys every seven years. Hunters overwhelmingly respond they want to keep OTC opportunities they can participate in yearly. I am in this camp myself. I don't want Idaho to turn into Utah.

These ideas are dumb. They aren't really enforceable, and are easy enough to work around that only law-abiding hunters are effected.

There are a good number of ways harvest could be more limited to preserve OTC than the turret and rangefinder ideas.

I'd rather see resident general deer hunters limited to a single unit or area, like elk, if needed. Or they could reduce season length a few days, if needed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back