Caribou Gear

Hydration drinks?

Every hot metal shop I’ve been in over the last 10 years has Squencher at every available spot for anyone to grab. Steel mills, foundries, smelters, etc.- all the same, take what you need. It was not fun on the furnace deck this summer- 140 and humid out of the pulpits.

Pink lemonade is my personal favorite, but orange is good if that’s your thing. It’s my go-to, and cheap enough online.

Liquid IV is too damn sweet, and probably needs to be diluted to 48oz of water to be palatable. Usually makes me want to puke. My current shop has them in the supervisors office in case of more dire need of electrolytes.

Nurse’s office has Banawater. That’s the expensive “he’s got heat stroke” option. Probably wouldn’t hunt with it.

I use Drip Drop in a bottle of H20, keeps night time cramps down to a minimum after lots of walking at work - 77 yrs old. Got it from our athletic director.

I started getting severe cramps at night after hunting at about age 55. I mean bone twisting cramps that were complete torture. Lots of water and liquid IV seems to keep it at bay. I think it's from improving hydration, but now I'M up all night peeing so I never really get an opportunity to get a cramp. I may try wildness athlete this year while chukar hunting.
On a side note. I got into an argument with a guy about where I was camping. In the middle of it I got hit both ham strings and had had to pee. I successfully yanked it out bent over double and got it done. All with no warning to anyone
The guy left and never returned.

I've been a Gatorade/Powerade guy (zero sugar) and recently had a no sugar Bodyarmor. Tasted pretty good! I see it has a bunch of vitamins and stuff in it that the others don't. Beneficial and worth the switch or no big difference between them? I'm not interested in spending big bucks for stuff I'm just going to sweat out so this stuff is a good diet soda replacement for me.
I would recommend Hoist. For around $2.34 per bottle (cheaper than Gatorade or powerade depending on your area) it is 100% American made and they support our veterans. I partner with brands that are American made and supporters of our veterans.

Sidenote: If your in the market for coffee, check out Blackout Coffee with this link: https://www.blackoutcoffee.com?p=uZgbbWHFb

And use promo code: JOSHUA2415OUTDOORS
For 20% off your first order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240903_170211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240903_170211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I hardly sweat and keep my weight down. Electrolyte restoration is seldom an issue for me unless extreme heat. Carrying the weight of water simply makes no sense when there's snow on the ground. I don't need much to rehydrate. Snow does the job just fine. However, not a good idea unless constantly on the move and body core temp is sufficient to avoid the chills. If anything, eating cold snow helps keep my core temp stabilized during strenuous hunts. Helps avoid sweating = stinking. It works. Been doing it for sixty years.

I hardly sweat and keep my weight down. Electrolyte restoration is seldom an issue for me unless extreme heat. Carrying the weight of water simply makes no sense when there's snow on the ground. I don't need much to rehydrate. Snow does the job just fine. However, not a good idea unless constantly on the move and body core temp is sufficient to avoid the chills. If anything, eating cold snow helps keep my core temp stabilized during strenuous hunts. Helps avoid sweating = stinking. It works. Been doing it for sixty years.
Well, you're just some kind of special. You have to be the only guy that has snow available all year long. I would put you on ignore but you come up with some truly crazy shit that's good for a laugh.

Well, you're just some kind of special. You have to be the only guy that has snow available all year long. I would put you on ignore but you come up with some truly crazy shit that's good for a laugh.
Snow is usually available in hunting season. Where I hunt anyway.

It would be an honor to be on your ignore list. I don't use the ignore option. Very immature in my opinion.

The hardly sweats part made me laugh as I just came in from working around the yard and changed into the third dry T-shirt for the day. Have them hanging outside to dry before tossing them in the hamper.
And I have never seen snow during any of my antelope hunts, California A-zone deer archery hunts, and a lot of my out of state hunts etc.

Pedialyte single packs or the Walmart equivalent brand. I use them religiously when cycling long distances or racing and when hunting the high country. I’ve tried nearly everything and this combo works the best for me. Also, if cramps are common you might want to throw a few packs of soy sauce in your pack (from the Chinese takeout place) since a packet chased by water it will help you recover quickly.

For more moderate exercise and hunting I flavor my water with Propel singles.

Cheers!
Had to reply to this due to the comment about Propel and moderate exercise. I'm a huge Propel guy. Love the stuff for around the farm when I'm sweating buckets. Thought it'd would be the bomb for a hunt. Couldn't have been more wrong. Had a long hard day and drank 2 liters with Propel and felt awful. Tried it a couple other times on the hunt and it just didn't do it for me. Left it in the food box after that.

I haven't tried the high dollar stuff, but I will say this. When I know I'm gonna be burning calories, it's full sugar Gatorade for me. Before the work begins. There's probably better stuff out there, but it tastes good and has salt and calories.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Welch's concord grape juice is my go-to for my hunting pack. It has a higher antioxidant value than acai juice which is considered one of the superfoods and high levels of electrolytes too. If I'm going to drink water I want it to be proper plain water, and if I'm going to drink something with flavor I want it to have flavor and not be too mild. The grape juice is a nice energizing pick-me-up on a long hike and then I pack water as well.
Never tried the concord grape juice, but I'm a fan of blueberry green tea at night for the antioxidants. I drink so damn much coffee the caffine doesn't keep me up.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back