How do you volunteer in your Community?

Where do you donate your time in your community?

• Schools (PTA or School Board)

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Sports (coaching or sponsoring)

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Public Safety ( Volunteer fire, Search and Rescue, )

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Food ( foodbank, Meals on Wheels)

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Elder care

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Foster parent or Mentorship

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Vocational Training (FFA or 4H, Job skills training)

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Community Fraternal organization ( Lions, Elks, Moose, Rotary, Masons, Etc)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Armed forces reserve

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don't do anything unless I get paid and it benefits me personally....

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters

2rocky

A lot of us are active advocates for outdoor recreation and wildlife habitat. I'm curious if this extends to other areas of life. My hypothesis is that people are either of the Volunteer for my community mind set or not..
This is not about wildlife related volunteer ism

I was involved for many years.

Did not see old fart who retired.
I have been doing vocational training work with guys I paid. Now I will fix it.

Was a Park Ranger, EMTII,1st responder,S&R in my old county.
On revue panels, PEER revue boards,board member,Kids Cove,BBQer, etc...

Have my own project now and no need for a revue. Well,G&F maybe.

I contacted the local hunter safety instructor this morning so first time hunters can phone me if interested in harvesting a wild turkey on my ranch. For over 60 years I have taken people hunting or just let them hunt my place on their own for turkey, deer, elk, bear and even lion at no charge.

I’ve been a member of a Masonic Lodge for about 25 years. I’ve been volunteering as a paramedic every year for a hunt for terminally ill kids, handicapped hunters, and wounded soldiers since 2007. It’s in Alabama and called the Buckmasters Life Hunt.

As a volunteer I am:

- Member of a local landscape related working group
-President of a local nonprofit
-Chair of a county Parks,Trails, and Recreation Board
-Assistant Chief as well as Trustee of a local VFD
- author a semi-monthly column in the local newspaper (uncompensated)

I’ve also coached here and there. I believe these things provide value to my community, and I enjoy some and frankly often not so much others. It seems the more I do the less fun things become. In the last couple years I’ve said no to other things I’d like to be involved in, but Burnout Is Real and I feel it. Like most volunteers, I also work for a living, have a family, and have hobbies of my own.

I have not done much volunteering aside from donating some time here and there to work in the boy scout or 4h booth at the fair and/or highway borrow ditch clean up efforts. I would like to get involved with search and rescue but I'm not sure how valuable I would be beings as I work 55-60+ hrs a week.

My kids are all grown but I coached about every sport you can think of. (Glad that's over)
I helped my son, and several others get Eagle scout Rank.
I was on my County Search and Rescue for 10 years.
I have had and still have many opportunities to volunteer in my church.
I clear the snow from several elderly neighbors and help them any time they call with all manner of projects.
I taught a Fur Harvesters class for several years for the Utah Division of Wildlife helping a few kids get into trapping.

Mock trial legal advisor for the county high schools students - 15+ years now. Smart kids. Thanks to all who volunteer anywhere, anyway, anytime, and in any manner. Happy hunting over the next few months and stay safe, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

I volunteer for multiple sclerosis (MS) related stuff. I spend a bit over an hour a week on it. I help plan and execute a walk/fundraiser every year. In addition, I also fundraise every year via Bike MS.

Got my son involved with the bike ride this year. Had him clearing buckthorn this spring to help meet the fundraising minimum. He ended up being recognized as the youngest of several hundred participants at the ride this year. He also captained (with Dad’s help) the new team that raised the most money at this year’s ride. IMG_2197.jpeg

Sometimes wish I was more civic minded, but 30 years of 12 hour rotating shift work has never allowed for a regular schedule to make it to events/meetings on a steady basis. My respect to those who take the time out to volunteer in the community. Hopefully in retirement I can find some time to volunteer.

Sometimes wish I was more civic minded, but 30 years of 12 hour rotating shift work has never allowed for a regular schedule to make it to events/meetings on a steady basis. My respect to those who take the time out to volunteer in the community. Hopefully in retirement I can find some time to volunteer.
I'm not on the same shift schedule but never knowing from one day to the next has the same effect. I have reached out twoma couple hunting minded groups that take sick or disabled kids etc. Never to hear anything back which I was a little shocked/ disappointed.

I marked food.

I used to do volunteer fire. Disabled now, so that's out.

I'm currently the president of a local non-profit, which helps with financial support for people in need in the community.

I volunteer periodically with the Nevada Department of Wildlife doing education events and hunter safety.

I think you forgot a checkbox for contributing snarky content to HuntTalk.

But for real, I'm a volunteer ski patroller and have been on the board for 5 years now, and 6 months into parenthood, I don't know how some of you (Nameless especially) find the time in the day! Hats off to you all!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back