Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hornets nest

Taken care of a few of these using all kinds of methods. Most satisfying was tying a can of charcoal lighter fluid affixed to a long stick and dumping it on top to soak for a few seconds. Followed by a match on a long stick. Dramatic and thorough. Don’t set anything else on fire though!!!

Also, when I say charcoal fluid, I actually used gas…. buuuuttttt maybe best to use charcoal fluid though….😬😬😬 Ya live ya learn, better yet if you keep your eyebrows!

If you can wait until winter, for sure save it with the branches and it will fetch some good $$$. I sold one to a local bar that has it hanging up and they gave me 20 free drink tickets. So 80 bucks or so.

As someone who has dealt with many hornets nest in trees and been on the receiving end of not noticing them first I would go to the store and buy a minimum of four cans of wasp and hornet spray. Shake well and have one in each hand. Unload both cans on one that size. Coat the whole thing. If it hits the ground cover it in foam.

The extra two are if something goes wrong
Exactly

How should I deal with this? There is a nest every year in this tree but normally way higher. It’s got heavy and fell down to about 6ft. My wife mowed under it today before she noticed it and it’s a wonder she didn’t get eat up. She is ready to go set it on fire tonight but I’m not to sure. Rather leave it alone till fall but as low as it is now somebody is probably going to get stung. Any ideas? View attachment 337245View attachment 337246
Wrap a rag around a long pole and soak it with gas or other combustible fluid. Light and hold it under the nest at night and watch the nest go up in flames and the soldiers fly into the flame.

I helped my dad grab a few. At night he would take a contractor garbage bag and just scooped it up. I cut the branches. Hearing those hornets in that plastic bag was something else. He always threw the bag in the chest freezer to kill them. Sprayed with polyurethane and then displayed.

I helped my dad grab a few. At night he would take a contractor garbage bag and just scooped it up. I cut the branches. Hearing those hornets in that plastic bag was something else. He always threw the bag in the chest freezer to kill them. Sprayed with polyurethane and then displayed.
Yup my in-laws do this as well.

Working in the woods, I wiped out a lot of yellow jacket nests and a few bald face nests with "Bee Bopper" One year the government told us we had to use a more eco-friendly bug spray. Good thing we had some Bee Bopper stashed away because that eco-friendly stuff sure does piss them bees off. That brake fluid hack looks like it works faster and better than any bug spray I've ever used though.

If it were me, and the wife hadn't noticed it, I would just leave it alone. Bald Face aren't overly aggressive like Yellow Jackets and they are kind of cool to watch. And they eat Yellow jackets. If you want some real entertainment just let the neighborhood boys know it's there, then crack a beer and watch the show from a safe distance.

If it were me, and the wife hadn't noticed it, I would just leave it alone. Bald Face aren't overly aggressive like Yellow Jackets and they are kind of cool to watch. And they eat Yellow jackets.
Came here to say this. Had one in my tree right near my front door for a while last year and they were fine. They usually won't bother going after you unless you directly threaten their nest. I just kept an eye on them while I mowed and didn't linger in that spot.

I also went out on the first few chilly mornings in September to see if I could whack the nest down and was surprised to see hornets already buzzing around, entering and exiting, etc. Even at 40 degrees.

*edited to add: the above applies only to bald-faced hornet nests. If it's yellowjacket, destroy those bastards.

As a tree guy I frown upon lighting a fire in the tree! What did the tree do to you! No reason to risk damaging the tree with flames.
Here's to the tree guys. We had a wasp nest higher in a tree that I wanted to go. Orkin wanted $1100, not a joke.

Called our tree guy, he just came out, cut the limb it was on, a small one, and charged nothing since he does our trees twice a year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back