MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

High-End Rifle Scope Discussion

Army’s new rifle, the M7, has a Vortex system on top. If it’s shit, we’ll find quick once it starts getting fielded.
I'm not familiar with the selection process the Govt uses, but is this choice in optics based on a contract which was awarded by "lowest bid", or did the selection process include extensive testing of several comparable optics by people that are knowledgeable in the field? I'm sure when the search was started, a list of basic requirements was listed before any scopes were submitted to the testers. I would hope the contract wasn't awarded based on price alone.

Like the Razor line, the glass is made in the USA, AFAIK, the only glass made here, so I suspect that played a role. And note that the Razor line cost is on a par with Nightforce.

I have no experience with it, but I suspect it's a different animal than the Chinese junk that makes up their lower end, hence the inclusion on the OP's list. Even on a long range site where folks offer burnt sacrifices to NF the Razor is spoken of favorably.

Last edited:
I am going to buy a high-end rifle scope to put on a Springfield Waypoint 2020 rifle that I have. I would like a scope with a magnification range of somehwere around 5-25x. I intend to hunt with these scopes, I don't shoot competition rifle. I'm am considering the following scopes with an MOA reticle:
  1. Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x50
  2. Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50
  3. Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 MSR2
  4. Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50
  5. Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52
  6. Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
Anything here to really stay away from? Anyone with experience with both a VX-6 and Mark 5 that can tell me which is better?

Why is Nightforce not listed? Because Nightforce offers a crappy military discount. The brands you see above offer somewhere between 30-50% off and that makes these scopes much more affordable.

Currently, I have Zeiss, Vortes and Leupold scopes. Good experiences with all of them. I've been using Leupold scopes since I began hunting but it is difficult finding the scope I want in stock.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and personal experiences with any of these scopes.
Vortex is junk!!! Stick with any other one that you mentioned.

Just get a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 and go kill something. Forget all the rest.

But if you don’t get it from @schmalts, that’s on you.

I have one of those with Firedot on my SS Super Grade .264 Win mag...love that scope! I also have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56 Firedot on my .257 Wby mag...that will be the rifle that I carry on November 15th...Michigan's Firearm Opener.

Last edited:
If it's for hunting drop your power down no need for 25 max and some shots might need 2 or 3 power if close I recently got a Vortex Viper Hd 3-15x44 it will make a good hunting scope but kick myself every day for not spending the extra couple hundred for the vx5hd 3-15x44 after seeing the Viper hd glass is on par with the vx3hd at low light

Well, that was a year ago, so hopefully he's found his Mark V by now ;)
So yeah, that was a year ago and here is what I have done:

The Springfield Waypoint has a Nightforce 2.5-20x50mm scope on top of it. I like that low end magnification when I'm in a treestand but have the ability to dial it up. The scope is also relatively compact and works well with that rifle. Can't say enough about the Nightforce scopes, they are absolutely great.

I did get a Leupold Mark 5 in 5-25x56mm. I did put it on the Waypoint but took it off because it was just too big. It looked stupid. I now have it mounted on a Sig Cross 300 Win Mag and that is the right platform for a scope like that. Very happy with the Mark 5. Great glass.

I would note that both of these scopes are pricey but both companies do offer a military discount which is helpful and much appreciated. I think that discount applies to first responders/veterans/retired military etc... Guess I will find out because I'm retired military now.

Is anyone familiar with Huskemaw rifle scopes in here? Been wondering about them for a few years now.
I have one of their 4x16s, my Dad has a 4x16 and 5x20, and my uncle has two 5x20s and none of us have had any trouble at all with them. The three years that I have had mine it has sat on my 7mm and it hasn't moved at all. Couldn't speak highly enough of them.

I am going to buy a high-end rifle scope to put on a Springfield Waypoint 2020 rifle that I have. I would like a scope with a magnification range of somehwere around 5-25x. I intend to hunt with these scopes, I don't shoot competition rifle. I'm am considering the following scopes with an MOA reticle:
  1. Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x50
  2. Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50
  3. Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 MSR2
  4. Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50
  5. Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52
  6. Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
Anything here to really stay away from? Anyone with experience with both a VX-6 and Mark 5 that can tell me which is better?

Why is Nightforce not listed? Because Nightforce offers a crappy military discount. The brands you see above offer somewhere between 30-50% off and that makes these scopes much more affordable.

Currently, I have Zeiss, Vortes and Leupold scopes. Good experiences with all of them. I've been using Leupold scopes since I began hunting but it is difficult finding the scope I want in stock.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and personal experiences with any of these scopes.
The VX-6HD is more of a traditional hunting scope with a balance of weight, features, and excellent glass. It's lighter and more compact, making it a better option if you prioritize portability.

The Mark 5HD, while heavier and more robust, provides more precision features (better turrets, higher magnification range, more adjustment range). If you anticipate needing greater durability and features for long-range precision, go with the Mark 5HD, but for more general hunting use, the VX-6HD could be more practical.

The Swarvoski Z5 5-25x52 or Z6 5-30x50 series are excellent for hunting with some of the best optics in the business. They’re lightweight, offer excellent clarity, and perform well in low-light conditions, making them a top-tier choice for hunters.

Out of the scopes listed in the OP, it seems like there is a consensus that the Trijicon offerings are the most “robust”. If you were looking for a “bombproof” scope that would track reliably, hold zero, and return to zero. I would personally check out the Tenmile. If you’re planning on using it for hunting and the ranges wont be quite so far, the Credo/Credo HX lines have rave reviews. The accupoint series is also one to consider from the sounds of it with the same durability reputation, but lack of battery for illumination (tritum/fiber optic). Personally, I went NF SHV F1 for the time being on a “bombproof” rig.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back