Kenetrek Boots

High Desert Youth

Nambaster

I thought I would share this hunt as it was a great time! My son did the research and found high draw odds on a youth pronghorn hunt. He is a master at 12 yrs old at navigating the State website and picking his hunts. This year he put in for 3 different species and got drawn for all 3.

We had just finished filling his Elk tag in the same unit and now we had to switch gears to speed goats. We had only seen one buck out in the ag fields prior to the opener.

Just like his elk tag we saw hundreds of animals and it was non stop action! 1 flat tire and several missed shots at coyotes. Sleeping under the stars in cots without a tent. We drove hundreds of dirt road miles and saw some amazing scenery. He missed his first opportunities and he thought it wasn’t going to happen. On the 2nd day it came together.

He insisted on packing out the meat all on his own for 2.41 miles. On the pack out I looked back and he was catching a horny toad with a pronghorn on his back.

As we got to the final quarter mile to the truck we got teased by a buck and 2 does bedded down 147 yards from the road after we had hiked and executed a perfect stalk on his doe.

Attachments

• IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 76
Good work, kid! Good work, Dad!
Santa ought to bring him a new (insert preferable brand) pack this year....

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back