Gun Case

badkarma6

Gents, I am in the market for a new hard-sided gun case for a hunt out west. I was thinking about just ponying up and buying the Pelican case but I've also seen the Apache gun cases at Harbor Freight. They look very similar to Pelican but at half the price. Does anyone own an Apache case? How is it? Along the lines of you pay for what you get, should I just bite the bullet and get the Pelican?

Are you flying out west or driving?

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the Harbor Freight case. But I have made a number of cross-country driving trips with cased long guns (with no damage or incidents to any of them) and I doubt any of my cases are as nice as the Harbor Freight one.

If you flying, then perhaps it's a different analysis.

I have one. It's heavy and seems to be well built. Mine has wheels on one end so you wheel it around. It will hold two Shiloh Sharps with 30 inch barrels without a problem.

Are you flying out west or driving?

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the Harbor Freight case. But I have made a number of cross-country driving trips with cased long guns (with no damage or incidents to any of them) and I doubt any of my cases are as nice as the Harbor Freight one.

If you flying, then perhaps it's a different analysis.
Good question. I’m flying.

I just bought a pelican vault 800 at a smoking deal from my local gun shop. It’s a little heavier (23 lbs)than I wanted but it seems solid and deserving of the high reviews they get.

I have a Pelican and Nanuk double rifle cases. I have flown several times with the Pelican with no issues and the Nanuk is at least as solid. He also carry SKB cases that seem very stout. I look at cases just like insurance.....what is the thing you are protecting worth?

I would buy the pelican myself. Buy once , cry once for me. Good investment and you will probably never need to buy another case in your lifetime.

If it's just a one time deal, I'm sure someone would loan you a case for the trip.

If flying or planning on flying in the future check your airline’s oversized baggage rules! Linear dimensions. I think the double size pelican is a no go. Still check on the single.

I would buy the pelican myself. Buy once , cry once for me. Good investment and you will probably never need to buy another case in your lifetime.
I ended up buying two. Bought the double first then realized I’d have to use the single for air travel if I ever chose to fly.

I ended up buying two. Bought the double first then realized I’d have to use the single for air travel if I ever chose to fly.
You cannot use a double rifle case to carry two rifles when flying? I'm looking into buying a good case but was thinking about getting a double case.

I have the Pelican 1750, it's expensive, it's heavy, it's also built like a tank and I have yet to have a scope knocked off at all after flying out and returning from any hunt with it. Can't say the same for other cases I've used in the past. Firearms are counted as sporting goods, same as golf clubs and skis, so no extra baggage fees from air lines for oversized luggage. I prefer to buy once, cry once with most of my sporting goods these days, your situation may be different. Just be sure to have a lock for each locking point as some overzealous TSA agents can nit pick.

I have one Pelican, and two SKB's. Both are built like tanks like @Keep on says above. I have flown with them multiple years and never any issues. Mine had four locks on it and did amazing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back