Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Guided Wyoming Horseback Elk Hunt Recommendation

jnagel32

Hello all! It's been a few years since I've been active on the forum and been out west hunting due to some life changes, which included a deployment, my wife going to nursing school, and buying the family farm. With that said, I am looking to reinvigorate my yearly western hunts. I am currently sitting on 10 elk points in Wyoming and I am looking for recommendations on who to book a guided horseback hunt with. This will be for the 2026 season, so I'll have 11 points by the time I need to apply. This will be a one time deal for me, due to it's expense and the amount of time it takes to build points. I enjoy DIY hunts and the planning aspect that goes along with doing it DIY, but riding horses into the mountains for an elk hunt has been a dream of mine since I was a young teenager. I have been on one DIY elk hunt in Montana a few years ago, which was unsuccessful but saw a ton of elk just no legal bulls. I have rode horses for a few years now as well, my wife used to barrel race and we own four, but I am no expert. Due it being a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, I am hoping you guys can recommend a great outfitter that I will have a memorable experience with and a great chance at harvesting a trophy bull. Who do you recommend?

Last edited:
Not sure if he is still doing it, but I think Bob Sundeen used to get good reviews on his operation. It is a fairly big camp so not sure if that is what you are looking for or not. I think you have enough points for that unit.

No personal experience with him, but there are several positive reviews posted around on forums. There will be grizzlies and it is probably a half day ride to get to the camp and then they ride out of camp most days.

Hello all! It's been a few years since I've been active on the forum and been out west hunting due to some life changes, which included a deployment, my wife going to nursing school, and buying the family farm. With that said, I am looking to reinvigorate my yearly western hunts. I am currently sitting on 10 elk points in Wyoming and I am looking for recommendations on who to book a guided horseback hunt with. This will be for the 2026 season, so I'll have 11 points by the time I need to apply. This will be a one time deal for me, due to it's expense and the amount of time it takes to build points. I enjoy DIY hunts and the planning aspect that goes along with doing it DIY, but riding horses into the mountains for an elk hunt has been a dream of mine since I was a young teenager. I have been on one DIY elk hunt in Montana a few years ago, which was unsuccessful but saw a ton of elk just no legal bulls. I have rode horses for a few years now as well, my wife used to barrel race and we own four, but I am no expert. Due it being a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, I am hoping you guys can recommend a great outfitter that I will have a memorable experience with and a great chance at harvesting a trophy bull. Who do you recommend?
I am here in WY..I know someone.

If you have go hunt filter the units based on trophy size. Look at a unit with a high percentage of wilderness that meets your trophy standard.

Then do a search with Wyoming elk unit and the unit number. That should narrow down your options.

Then in November or December, I would contact the outfitters and see what kind of responses you get. So much of the experience relies on your interaction with people that I would hate to recommend someone.

One decision point you were going to have to make is whether you want a late season migration hunt for giant bulls , or an early season bugle hunt where you may not have as many bulls to pick from.

The early season Hunt lends itself to more horseback riding.

If you have go hunt filter the units based on trophy size. Look at a unit with a high percentage of wilderness that meets your trophy standard.

Then do a search with Wyoming elk unit and the unit number. That should narrow down your options.

Then in November or December, I would contact the outfitters and see what kind of responses you get. So much of the experience relies on your interaction with people that I would hate to recommend someone.

One decision point you were going to have to make is whether you want a late season migration hunt for giant bulls , or an early season bugle hunt where you may not have as many bulls to pick from.

The early season Hunt lends itself to more horseback riding.
I think he said General Tag...you don't rely on drawing...then you hunt areas for the time
you go in. Horseback is awesome. I have 3 and going to do exactly that...Nothing like it!
I got my horse at a training facility who has my horse ready for the mountains in 2 weeks. Young horse but is bold afraid of nothing...Spotted saddle horse.

Attachments

• 20241013_135356.jpg
    20241013_135356.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
Not sure if he is still doing it, but I think Bob Sundeen used to get good reviews on his operation. It is a fairly big camp so not sure if that is what you are looking for or not. I think you have enough points for that unit.

No personal experience with him, but there are several positive reviews posted around on forums. There will be grizzlies and it is probably a half day ride to get to the camp and then they ride out of camp most days.
Bob Sundeen sold that operation a few years ago. I hunted with the new owner this year. That area takes around 13 points to draw currently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lknight
Back