PEAX Equipment

Grizzly bear confirmed in Southwest Montana mountain tobacco root range

I was in South Africa recently. Leopards are growing in number and are now something you need to account for as walk outside if you are rural. Can't hunt them legally. They can kill a person of any age or size. Much like a grizzly bear. Changes how you approach leaving your home when you are not in an urban area. Stay safe.

For a few years I've believed the GYE and Crown of the Continent populations have been intermingling. With a griz in the Roots it sure seems that it's time to at least try to verify it. The Griz in the Boulder Mountains, a couple of which were in the Whitetail Valley last year, were theoretically from the northern population.

Makes perfect sense that with the increase in bear populations individuals are expanding in to areas which link the two populations, mostly to seek out their own turf. But a game camera shot doesn't necessarily confirm grizz are actually setting up shop in either the Tobacco Roots or Elkhorns. I feel sightings are pretty random to assume.
Having climbed all the 10k peaks in the Tobacco range over the course of 20 years, I don't recall ever seeing evidence of grizz " living" there, but I suppose it wouldn't take much for that to change.

I honestly didn’t know they had never been confirmed in the Roots. There was one hanging out near the road up south meadow at the divide going down granite creek. Lots of people claimed seeing it. They are thick directly across the highway in the Gravellies. Why wouldn’t they be in the Tobacco Roots?

Makes perfect sense that with the increase in bear populations individuals are expanding in to areas which link the two populations, mostly to seek out their own turf. But a game camera shot doesn't necessarily confirm grizz are actually setting up shop in either the Tobacco Roots or Elkhorns. I feel sightings are pretty random to assume.
Having climbed all the 10k peaks in the Tobacco range over the course of 20 years, I don't recall ever seeing evidence of grizz " living" there, but I suppose it wouldn't take much for that to change.
Ima gunna guess it’s because they saw a sow with cubs in the roots vs a single individual.

they're showing up all over!

"REGION-WIDE
Grizzly Bear: FWP is receiving reports of grizzly bear activity throughout the Clearwater and Blackfoot Drainages. There have been no recent reports of grizzly bear activity in the Bitterroot Valley or the Missoula area, but there have been multiple grizzly tracks and photos verified in the Ninemile Valley west of Missoula, the Big Hole Valley, the Georgetown Lake area, and there have been multiple reports near Garrison Junction and other portions of the Deer Lodge Valley. Grizzly bears are slowly expanding into historic ranges."

https://missoulabears.org/updates-and-sightings/

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back