Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Good Neighbor: Elk Management in Montana

With the latest ruling against UPOM, FWP has really been given some leverage. Landowners now know that no matter how much they complain, they aren't going to get the tags to sell. They will have to work with FWP or I hope the elk eat the siding off their houses.

The dollar is the core to this entire issue. The dollar amount is zero. Recall from the video what the BM landowner said. He said back in the past you could go hunting anywhere you wanted. That's because no dollar amount was placed on game. Once outfitting and the commercialization of hunting happened, landowners stopped allowing access since they think they should be reimbursed for "their elk". We'll, the elk don't belong to them. They belong to all of us. If they want help regulating number they need to work with us or live with the hay burning, fence ruining consequences.
Sounds like the "Montana Values" argument. Good luck with that. I think it ignores the changes in economics and culture. We too often try to save things that can't be saved. I like the video, but my criticism is that they picked someone whose point of view ("show me the money") is literally the opposite of most Montanans. Someone needs to make a video that clarifies the issues of this situation so people (FWP, landowners, voters) can negotiate the points, hopefully in good faith, but going back to "the way it was" isn't going to happen. I am 100% sure that money will be a factor in any "solution".

The dollar is the core to this entire issue. The dollar amount is zero. Recall from the video what the BM landowner said. He said back in the past you could go hunting anywhere you wanted. That's because no dollar amount was placed on game. Once outfitting and the commercialization of hunting happened, landowners stopped allowing access since they think they should be reimbursed for "their elk". We'll, the elk don't belong to them. They belong to all of us. If they want help regulating number they need to work with us or live with the hay burning, fence ruining consequences.
I don't disagree with you. Just remember that the dollar amount is high because there are lots of hunters willing to pay the price. So far most of the effort to slow commercialization has been focused on the supply side of the equation. Find ways to cut demand and you will reduce the dollar amount and improve access.

I don't disagree with you. Just remember that the dollar amount is high because there are lots of hunters willing to pay the price. So far most of the effort to slow commercialization has been focused on the supply side of the equation. Find ways to cut demand and you will reduce the dollar amount and improve access.
Paying to hunt will always be a hard no for me. mtmuley

Back