PEAX Equipment

Go to roast recipe

If you cut it in 3/4” slices and tenderize it with a meat hammer, you can use them for more back strap type recipes. Wrapped in bacon with an onion sliver or jalapeños and cream cheese on the pit is probably my favorite, along with fajitas a close second. Of coarse some of it will get deep fried.

The meat hammer has really upped my game as far as prepping the less tender cuts of an animal. I’m not sure why it isn’t more popular.

I do a fair bit of Dutch oven roast aswell when I have the time. Same basic way as others except I’ll poke a few holes in it and shove some onions, garlic and parsley in. It will really add to the flavor.

Once a year or so I’ll cube a roast up and put in a big vegetable soup.
I hammer roast slices out for country fired steaks too

Hank Shaw pastrami…. Trying the meateater pastrami currently (wet brine vs dry). Will report back!

Also, dry brine sous vide roast is pretty good. It’s all about retaining moisture to me.
I’ve made them all several times. I prefer a wet brine because it gives me a juicier product and a more consistent cure. However, I like Hanks flavors better than Meateater’s.

So I do a hybrid - I make Hank’s corned venison recipe, minus the cinnamon stick, but ADD in celery seed to the wet brine. Then take the wet brined meat and coat it with the pepper and coriander from Hank’s pastrami recipe and follow the pastrami recipe from there.

After I killed my first elk, I had a bunch of roasts and wanted a creative way to use some. So, I invented a new dish. Since then, I have used elk, deer, bear. moose, caribou and beef. But with beef make sure it is as lean as possible. I am sure any other red meat would be just as good.

First you make a brown sauce. I make a roux and add beef stock or more often I mix up two tablespoons of instant beef bouillon in five cups of water. Then you take a large, 11"x15" Pyrex baking dish and fill it half full with potato slices cut about an eighth of an inch thick. I leave the peals on but that is discretionary. Then I take one medium to large onion and chop it up into small pieces. Large pieces work just as well but I have grandkids that claim they hate onions but seem to enjoy them just fine if they can't see them. Mix the onions with the potatoes and pour the brown sauce over top. Sprinkle liberally with coarsely ground black pepper. Then take A partially thawed roast and slice it into thin slices. 1/4" or less and spread them out tightly on top until the pan is completely filled, Now cover the entire thing with a lot of grated cheddar cheese. The more the better, at least a pound, but I don't think you can have too much. Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours, until potatoes are tender. If you use Yukon Gold potatoes it seems to take longer for some reason. You serve the cheese encrusted meat on one side of the plate and a big old pile of potatoes on the other (I like to put butter on the potatoes, but most people don't) Add a little grilled zucchini or maybe a salad on the side and enjoy.

Everyone loves this dish. If you know someone who hates wild game, and you can sneak this in on them, they will be hooked forever.

I made this dish for years without naming it. Then when I had kids, they would see me making it and ask what was for dinner. I would start to describe it and they would interrupt and excitedly ask, "Is that the stuff with cheese on it?" After about the third time that happened, I officially named it "The Stuff With Cheese On It" If you look in my freezer you will see packages labeled TSWCOI.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnyankee
Back