Advertisement

game sled, roll-up/packable type any good?

Cabela’s used to sell those roll up sleds as did LL Bean. We used them for years on deer. Better than dragging a deer without one.

Used the packable roll up sleds on a few treks into wilderness and elsewhere.

They are fantastic over the alternative. The only challenge, if on a non-eroded trail they tend not to track well behind as you pull.

Anybody use and have feedback on this sort of option? On dry ground for elk. I like the more minimalist aspect of it rolling up, being light weight.

Pondering an option for hauling elk meat a mile or two in September, so likely dry ground in the mountains.

The sad truth is my bird like legs and lack of serious muscle mass overall is just not very good at carrying elk at on my back. Added to that is medical issues this summer having me not wanting to want to embrace the suck of hauling heavy loads on my back this year.

View attachment 337172
I've used one of the exact sleds and destroyed it dragging half an elk less than a mile. It was a pain. Would have been way easier boning it and taking small loads on your back. And the going was relatively flat. I should mention that we did it on dry ground.

I tried using the roll up type sled a few times a long time ago, didn't really go well. Front kept digging in the dirt and it kept rolling over. Maybe theres a way to solve those issues. I have used the plastic ice-fishing or duck hunting type sled on a few occasions when there was snow or grass, either flat or downhill. I still wouldn't do this over dry ground, or uphill.

20240126_075733.jpg

Been using them for years for deer. Used them on smaller bears too. They absolutely allow you to drag easier than without them, not sure where those comments are coming from unless people aren't putting the slippery side down. Ideal if you have brush and logs to drag through and over. On snow they cut effort a great deal. Mostly a flat or gentle rolling ground option though, IMO. Long distances I would lean towards a cart if you can use one...or a combination of both. Steep country would be tricky ...even if all downhill I'd be inclined to pack out.

Really depends on terrain. Works great in relatively flat grassy areas. If you have to work through sage brush (or other brush) they get to be a pain. I am on my third one now. On very steep rocky terrain one person in front guides and the person in back tries to keep it from plowing into the lead person. Last year shredded a new one. Major rock, almost 4 miles in, and 2200 foot elevation drop (plus some ups and downs). Good item it have around in case you need it. Even if you leave it in camp or in your vehicle.

After last year I started looking into those one wheel carts. Once again on flat ground or down a closed road maybe. But some of the places we go they may get dangerous with that much weight that high up.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWHauss
Back