Game cameras during MT seasons?

Mr. Leopold is dead.

So are a lot of other outstanding people, like Teddy Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot. Not trying to be a smartass, but what's your point? That because they are dead their views and philosophies are irrelevant?

I think banning game camera's across the board is ridiculous. The whole point was to stop cameras from transmitting real time information. Just ban those.

The use of a camera that you have to physically walk up and remove the card, does nothing other than let you know what was there previous. Doesn't help you kill the animal. It might give you incentive to hunt that you might not otherwise have.

So are a lot of other outstanding people, like Teddy Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot. Not trying to be a smartass, but what's your point? That because they are dead their views and philosophies are irrelevant?

He's not around to judge what is ethical or not. That's all I meant.

It's up to us, individually, to decide what is ethical.

What was interesting to me was reading the quotes from FWP biologists who had obviously seen the pictures already. Evidently they didn't think anything illegal was going on.

What was interesting to me was reading the quotes from FWP biologists who had obviously seen the pictures already. Evidently they didn't think anything illegal was going on.

Key word "biologists". They have zero clue about law enforcement.

Key word "biologists". They have zero clue about law enforcement.

Didn't mean to sound like such a douche... sorry. What I meant was, most biologists that I have talked to rarely know much about the rules and regulations of FWP.

That is a new addition to the story, I don't remember reading that part the first time through. Wonder if the warden accepted his appology!

"does anyone have a clue as to why this is illegal?" TLC
Use of electronic devises for monitoring or aircraft for spotting then hunting is pretty much established as an unfair advantage in hunting. 'Guess common sense is not so common.

If your place is as large as some Montana ranches and you shoot an elk twenty miles from where your camera is set up, likely you won't have a problem. However, if your camera is set up on your twenty acres and you shoot an elk there, then it's hard to make a case that the camera was not a factor.

As far as private property hunting ethics, I think the following quote says it clearly.
Aldo Leopold: “ Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching-

didn't ask for a quote from the dnr handbook. asked WHY it is illegal. thanks for the non answer. as far as common sense. if you would have read where I am from, maybe, but doubt it, you would know they are legal here. what difference what size the place is? my 80 acres is not covered with cameras. the hunting areas are. and as someone else said, they tell me what WAS there. I can sit out there and see what IS there. that's why I don't get why they are illegal. they are game cameras, not video cameras.

1. That is not a quote from the "dnr" or any other handbook.
2. "WHY" is that it is considered an unfair advantage in hunting. 'Sorry, I thought it obvious.
3. 80 acres is still pretty small as far as a hunting area for antelope, mule deer or elk.
4. I do apologize. 'Thought the explanation was clear. Perhaps my hunting life experienced in Montana is that much different from yours in Illinois. But the thread does pertain to Montana.

I think banning game camera's across the board is ridiculous. The whole point was to stop cameras from transmitting real time information. Just ban those.

The use of a camera that you have to physically walk up and remove the card, does nothing other than let you know what was there previous. Doesn't help you kill the animal. It might give you incentive to hunt that you might not otherwise have.

agree 100%. i guarantee some hillbilly somewhere would just say, " No officer. . .I was just monitoring the opossum density in this area. . . and those deer just happened by". Its a judgement call. I use cameras here in Indiana to take inventory of the deer in a particular area, then choose the one I'd like to shoot and then hunt him hard in the fall. . .sometimes it works, sometimes you never see the buck. Just my thoughts on it.:)

Just think if it were legal, you'd have the situtaions you find in Utardville... cameras set up on public land on every water hole in the state. If you think game cameras don't offer an advantage then why use them? And why care that you can't?

I don't think the law hurts a dam thing, other than taking time and effort out of the equation. Good for Montana!

Imagine there being cameras strapped to trees and set up on water holes all over the NF and BLM. Would that take away from your experience? I know it would piss me off, just like d-bags who build/leave stands on public land for months at a time. Its trash, pack it in and pack it out. If you leave it there you've abandon it and Its mine to throw away for you... Its NOT the same as a camp site, its trash you left in the woods.

Don't worry I have a bullet proof vest, can't say the same for game cameras I find on public land... :D

Just think if it were legal, you'd have the situtaions you find in Utardville... cameras set up on public land on every water hole in the state. If you think game cameras don't offer an advantage then why use them? And why care that you can't?
Because it's enjoyable to review pictures of what's out there. It's a lot like trapping without actually catching anything but a picture. Those that send real time pictures over a cell phone, are the real problem.

Would you ban all Alcohol to keep people from driving drunk?

Would you ban all Alcohol to keep people from driving drunk?
No but I would ban all drinking and driving...I would even ban open containers of alcohol in a vehicle.

You are allowed to put up game cams...just not during hunting season. Not many people put up "game cams" for non scouting purposes. Very few people put them up "just to see what's out there" without the intent of scouting an area without having to actually scout the area. If you want to know whats out there...sit in a blind with a camera in your hand (this would be perfectly legal).

I was greatly discouraged when this regulation was approved. I love my game cameras! If any of you trap or have trapped, you know the excitement and anticipation of running your line; I get that same excitement when I go out to check my cameras!

Basically, as the law reads, cameras can be deployed for two months a year (remember lion season runs to 4/15). I wish I could have a camera out right now. This morning in the snow I found a marking tree that a lion has been using. I would love to put a camera on it to get pictures of that cat. But I can't because of this regulation!

No but I would ban all drinking and driving...I would even ban open containers of alcohol in a vehicle.

You are allowed to put up game cams...just not during hunting season. Not many people put up "game cams" for non scouting purposes. Very few people put them up "just to see what's out there" without the intent of scouting an area without having to actually scout the area. If you want to know whats out there...sit in a blind with a camera in your hand (this would be perfectly legal).

Your not allowed to put up game camera's during any commissioned season. So that pretty much means June 15 to Aug 15. A lot of people put cams on dead things to see what shows up. I was one of those people. Ask drath why he used them.

The question is:

1). Do they give you an unfair advantage over the animal your hunting?
2). Do they aid in the harvest of an animal?

Both answers are no, and no.

If you really want to get holy, put limits on the "long range" shooting trend that's going on. A game cam does nothing to kill the animal. Shooting game at 1200 yards does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back