Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fur friendly caliber/.223 bullet

Old thread I know. Anyway was thinking about this and recall shooting cat bullet's from a buddy's 22 Hornet while in Montana. I think is I wa a serious hide hunter I'd go the cast route. 222 Rem with a 50gr cast bullet shouldn't harm a pelt much at all. I think the biggest problem with jacketed bullet's is the high velocity's. Velocity turns into Ft Lbs energy when it hits something and more energy you get more damage you'll get. Want less damage go to lower velocity and best way I know to do that is cast bullets.

V max in a 223 works good. My experiences with vmax in a 22-250 is another story. And nothings easy on fox unless it’s a 17 or 22 lol

Old thread I know. Anyway was thinking about this and recall shooting cat bullet's from a buddy's 22 Hornet while in Montana. I think is I wa a serious hide hunter I'd go the cast route. 222 Rem with a 50gr cast bullet shouldn't harm a pelt much at all. I think the biggest problem with jacketed bullet's is the high velocity's. Velocity turns into Ft Lbs energy when it hits something and more energy you get more damage you'll get. Want less damage go to lower velocity and best way I know to do that is cast bullets.
The cast bullets are problematic because they don’t expand. They act like an FMJ. That’s not good. My experience with FMJ and coyotes hasn’t been good.

When I’m specifically after a fox it’s the 22wmr. 40grain hp. It’s a deathray. Coyote hunting jumps to the .223 or .243. 50 years ago I hunted all of them with the .222 rem. Still have the dies but no rifle.

When I’m specifically after a fox it’s the 22wmr. 40grain hp. It’s a deathray. Coyote hunting jumps to the .223 or .243. 50 years ago I hunted all of them with the .222 rem. Still have the dies but no rifle.
I used a .222 Remington back when I seriously hunted coyotes. Still have the little 788. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back