Kenetrek Boots

Fixed Pin Sights

ForkieShooter

Who makes the good ones? Why do you like or dislike them?

Caught the archery elk bug bad in the past few years and am planning an upgrade from my entry-level Bear compound this winter. Gonna try a slew of bows, but already thinking ahead to components. Pretty sure I don’t want to fiddle around with dialing anything in the field.

Thinking a 4 or 5 pin will be optimal for the shots I’d ethically feel comfortable taking. First pin set at 50 yards so I can launch them arrows off the 5th pin for some of that good good social media content. (Kidding)

Anyway, tell me about good, simple sights, please.

Black Gold Rush 5 pin.

But, I’d recommend the Black Gold Ascent Verdict 5-pin... If you like shooting your bow, you’ll probably eventually play around with pin stacking, which will lead to wanting to play around with a slider at whatever distance you can max it out at. You’ll have 5 pins for your ethical hunting situations, and won’t have to ever dial for those situations, but then have the dial for messing around at the range and really dialing in your form, anchor, release, etc at longer distances. It will make you a better shooter. Best of both worlds.

Black Gold Rush 5 pin.

But, I’d recommend the Black Gold Ascent Verdict 5-pin... If you like shooting your bow, you’ll probably eventually play around with pin stacking, which will lead to wanting to play around with a slider at whatever distance you can max it out at. You’ll have 5 pins for your ethical hunting situations, and won’t have to ever dial for those situations, but then have the dial for messing around at the range and really dialing in your form, anchor, release, etc at longer distances. It will make you a better shooter. Best of both worlds.
This right here. Well said

I have a spot Hogg Grinder 5-pin that I started with back in 2018, eventually went to a slider, but have recently switched back to the straight 5 pin for hunting.

That spot high has been through hell and back, and stays solid.

Black Gold Rush 5 pin.

This is a pretty compelling argument for a slider. I’ve set my current fixed three pin up to max out at 70 yards at the range in the past just cause it sure is fun to fling arrows at a target from a distance.

This is a pretty compelling argument for a slider. I’ve set my current fixed three pin up to max out at 70 yards at the range in the past just cause it sure is fun to fling arrows at a target from a distance.
Agree with all of those. I felt the same way (what kind of cabelas ninja needs that on a bow) but Its quite satisfying/challenging to get respectable groups at 100.

Just like long range shooting. Your limits in the field dont have to be your limits in practice.

Like others have said Black Gold anything. But the 5 pin ascent verdict gets my vote. Been on my bow for 5 years with no issues! It is truly bomb proof.

Also like other have said having the ability to dial in 100yds at the range is fun. I've never moved mine in the field.

I’ve heard that since black gold got bought out their customer service has not been as good. I would take a spot hogg over black gold having shot both brands. I think it’s hard to beat the durability and pin adjustment of a spot hogg

I’ve heard that since black gold got bought out their customer service has not been as good. I would take a spot hogg over black gold having shot both brands. I think it’s hard to beat the durability and pin adjustment of a spot hogg
Not my recent experience. I had a screw strip out on my sight, probably my fault after about 4 years of use, and it literally fell off my bow while practicing. It was a month before the season. They had me send them the sight, they fixed it, and turned it around in less than a week, all for free (I might have paid shipping to them but can’t remember). I was dialed back in before opening day.

One thing I will add, if you do upgrade, whichever brand you choose. Before, you head out hunting take pictures of where the site is. All of the higher end models have numbered hash marks. Taking a pictures gives you the piece of mind to be able to double check if anything moved. If it does, never had one move, but you can move it back to the correct place with confidence.

Attachments

• 20240909_191956.jpg
    20240909_191956.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240909_191948.jpg
    20240909_191948.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Like others have said Black Gold anything. But the 5 pin ascent verdict gets my vote. Been on my bow for 5 years with no issues! It is truly bomb proof.

Also like other have said having the ability to dial in 100yds at the range is fun. I've never moved mine in the field.
One bonus - lets say you hit something at 30 and it runs to 100 and hangs up - you can fling another one with confidence.

Certain things - such as prarie dogs are more satisfying to shoot far away lol.

I like fixed pin sights -vs- the type you adjust for range each shot.
One less thing to think about and worry about.

I've never been horribly brand loyal on this stuff, there are dozens of high quality fixed pin sights.
Only thing I'd add is get something that gathers light well w/ fiber optic wrap to illuminate the pins for dawn & dusk shots.

Not my recent experience. I had a screw strip out on my sight, probably my fault after about 4 years of use, and it literally fell off my bow while practicing. It was a month before the season. They had me send them the sight, they fixed it, and turned it around in less than a week, all for free (I might have paid shipping to them but can’t remember). I was dialed back in before opening day.
That’s good to hear. That was coming from a buddy that has used them for a long time and used to be a dealer for them. Either way, I think think spot Hogg makes a better sight

Back