Fishery vs. wildlife

Depends on the state, but specific to Montana, the only thing that's better than when I started hunting is turkeys and elk on private land. Everything else is significantly worse.

Edit: wolf, maybe lion hunting as well.
You sure you’re aren’t talking about every part of Idaho north of the salmon river? We’re at 30 years of elk hunting in what used to be some of the best elk hunting in the world circling the drain. I’ve given up on seeing real recovery in my lifetime. Sure would be nice if the forest wasn’t seemingly made of asbestos and the FS wouldn’t jump on every spark to keep Missoula from seeing smoke

To summarize, because of the way they vote. Conflict and compromise are necessary evils and partners in a functioning democracy. In many ways, we are largely nonfunctioning at this point.
You can vote for either party and things stay the same. Progressively getting worse, maybe that is where we are headed but it would sure be nice to try a few things to prevent that.

To summarize, because of the way they vote. Conflict and compromise are necessary evils and partners in a functioning democracy. In many ways, we are largely nonfunctioning at this point.
The country in a nutshell at this point.

The country in a nutshell at this point.
Yep, but that is what a surprisingly large % of the country wants. You see them everywhere, be it in Washington or on this thread. I call them the "Burn it down" people. Rosendale was the poster child. They live with the view that from the ashes rises exactly everything they want.

Yep, but that is what a surprisingly large % of the country wants. You see them everywhere, be it in Washington or on this thread. I call them the "Burn it down" people. Rosendale was the poster child. They live with the view that from the ashes rises exactly everything they want.
Just because he wasn't voting with the uni-party? To quote George Patton, "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking".

Yup, turns out, rich and corrupt people… still suck. Surprise!

Just keep showing up and giving a chit. That’s all any of us can do, and it can be surprisingly effective.
Roosevelt, Pinchot, Muir, Marshall among others were wealthy individuals. No one would argue they were corrupt, in fact many would say they were some of the founding fathers of modern conservation. But they were civic minded individuals. They held a sense of duty to the places and critters they fought for, and to the people who would love them as they loved them.

I think the growing trend you allude to is at its core selfishness. A willingness to exploit and a self centered attitude, not just among rich folks, but amongst society in general. “Rich people” just have the means, and are therefore much more effective at making it happen for themselves. But not all are evacuated of morality.

Roosevelt, Pinchot, Muir, Marshall among others were wealthy individuals. No one would argue they were corrupt, in fact many would say they were some of the founding fathers of modern conservation. But they were civic minded individuals. They held a sense of duty to the places and critters they fought for, and to the people who would love them as they loved them.

I think the growing trend you allude to is at its core selfishness. A willingness to exploit and a self centered attitude, not just among rich folks, but amongst society in general. “Rich people” just have the means, and are therefore much more effective at making it happen for themselves. But not all are evacuated of morality.
To clarify, my comment was rich AND corrupt, not rich devoid of corruption or the corrupt devoid of being rich.

Fair enough.
And you are definitely correct, selfishness is what that ultimately gets at. The dictionary definition of “corrupt” is one who is dishonest for their own personal or financial gain. So dishonest in the pursuit of selfishness.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrentR
Back