Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Western Mule Deer Hunt

ShutdownDB

Hi All-.
Have spent a lot of time perusing the board and have come across a lot of threads about hunter's first time trips out west chasing mule deer. I am heading out to Colorado this week with a second season mule deer tag for my first Colorado hunt. I'm not going to play the hits and list my unit or ask for any specific unit advice, etc. When I read those threads I'm always amused by people asking about specific spots and looking for area advice - I don't think I'd give up any of my secret spots to someone on the internet.

Instead, I was hoping for general advice from some of you more experienced hunters on how to hunt Colorado mule deer. I've done a ton of e-scouting on OnX and Google Earth for my unit, and have identified a bunch of spots that I'm hoping to hunt. I will have all day Thursday and Friday to do some on the ground scouting and will then put my plan together for opening day Saturday.

A couple questions I was hoping to get feedback on, based on my plan. In a general sense, I'll be in a unit in the West-Central part of the state. As a first timer, my main concern is a safe hunt and to generally stay out of other peoples way and avoid the crowds. I'm not ready for a full backcountry, backpack trip so have a motel room about a ~25 minute drive from a few of the spots I have located. I plan to drive in early, hike the ridges and spend a lot of time glassing. I've identified a few places that give me up to a 3 mile hike out from my access point that should give me multiple glassing areas and potential opportunities. My general plan is to hike, glass and keep moving/glassing until I turn something up. If all goes well, hopefully I'll have an opportunity to take a shot at a mature buck.

For my questions-
Is this a decent strategy for my first CO hunt?
With the weather seemingly being all over the board the last 5 years - what type of deer behavior can I expect to see for 2nd season?
I've got an emergency first aid kit, bear spray and my general deer hunting staples. Is there anything you wish you would have brought with you on some of your first hunts? Any piece of gear you never go without on a mule deer hunt?
Any tips on avoiding crowds and staying out of other hunters way?
If successful, I plan to quarter and pack out the deer in game bags. My pack is on the small side, a Sitka Mountain Hauler 2700. I'm thinking at worst I can accomplish this in 3 trips. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Any first timer mistake that you made that you'd advise me to avoid?

Overall I'm super excited for my hunt, but as a first timer a little anxious as well. Any general feedback or suggestions for someone in my position would be appreciated.

Great advice on a tripod or something (I use a small monopod with great success) to stabilize your binos. Also, I’d maybe buy a stumble on bear tag since you will be up high glassing a lot.
Most of all enjoy yourself and enjoy the country. Take time to enjoy the sunrise and look at it as a learning experience since you have never been there before. Good luck!!

Sounds like a good plan so far. I’d try to find a couple more spots in case the first couple don’t turn up any good bucks.
You may have snow, rain and sun all in the same day. Be prepared for some weather just in case.
Have a good time and enjoy the scenery as well. Good luck.

Thanks for the call out on a tripod for my binoculars. Didn't have one but will now.
I will look into a bear tag. To be honest I've never really had a desire to hunt one, but that's mainly because in my area it's typically over bait and I'm not too interested in that.

Thanks for the responses. Definitely going into it as a learning experience and not expecting to kill a big buck.

Any other feedback is appreciated. Will let everyone know how it goes when I'm back!

I think you've got a pretty solid plan. Few comments/ questions.

1st. Even for a larger deer 3 trips should be plenty honestly 2 trips will probably get it done especially after dumping most of your gear after the first load.
2nd. Be ready for serious weather! 2nd rifle can be real mild weather but things can happen quickly on the mountain. Keep a eye on it and come prepared.
3rd. Do you have a inn reach, zoleo, or similar product? I never hunt the mountains alone without my Inn reach mini. Besides always being able to communicate with my family the SOS function gives me the peace of mind to know I have a out if there's a real emergency.
4th. What are you using for mapping? Whatever it is make sure you've practiced beforehand. If using a phone make sure you have all your maps downloaded beforehand and invest in a good power bank charger (Anker is great).

Goodluck and stay safe out there!

Also, if you are using a spotting scope as well with your tripod, get an extra quick plate so you have one attached to your spotter and attached to your binocular adapter.

Another thought is these are high value added pieces to add if you don't already have them:

1. Gaiters
2. Puffy jacket
3. Puffy pants

The puffys allow you to hike in to an area dressed light and once you get to your glassing area, pop those puffys on. That is heaven right there! If your hike is at all strenuous in the morning, dress a lot lighter than you might think as you warm up and start sweating quickly. Have your puffys or any other clothes in your pack depending on conditions.

I also prefer to bring unscented garbage bags with my game bags instead of just game bags. After I hang the meat in game bags in a tree to let it cool, I toss the game bags into a garbage bag or two before it goes into my pack to save on having to clean my pack afterwards.

I would ditch the bear spray because you will have your rifle. I find most people over pack and carry a very heavy backpack. This limits their ability to be mobile. I have found in most western states, getting one mile away from a road is a huge plus. You will loose most of the hunters by simply doing that. Three miles is awesome but don’t kill yourself. Three miles each way in the western mountains is a lot. The most important thing is to remember to take tons of pictures and have fun.

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you with a good deer in the end.

On the inreach/zoleo mentioned above I agree having something that works anywhere is important. If you have a newer iPhone update it and you will be able to send iMessages via satellite. If you do this take a small battery to charge phone.

Last edited:
Back