First Western Mule Deer Hunt

ShutdownDB

Hi All-.
Have spent a lot of time perusing the board and have come across a lot of threads about hunter's first time trips out west chasing mule deer. I am heading out to Colorado this week with a second season mule deer tag for my first Colorado hunt. I'm not going to play the hits and list my unit or ask for any specific unit advice, etc. When I read those threads I'm always amused by people asking about specific spots and looking for area advice - I don't think I'd give up any of my secret spots to someone on the internet.

Instead, I was hoping for general advice from some of you more experienced hunters on how to hunt Colorado mule deer. I've done a ton of e-scouting on OnX and Google Earth for my unit, and have identified a bunch of spots that I'm hoping to hunt. I will have all day Thursday and Friday to do some on the ground scouting and will then put my plan together for opening day Saturday.

A couple questions I was hoping to get feedback on, based on my plan. In a general sense, I'll be in a unit in the West-Central part of the state. As a first timer, my main concern is a safe hunt and to generally stay out of other peoples way and avoid the crowds. I'm not ready for a full backcountry, backpack trip so have a motel room about a ~25 minute drive from a few of the spots I have located. I plan to drive in early, hike the ridges and spend a lot of time glassing. I've identified a few places that give me up to a 3 mile hike out from my access point that should give me multiple glassing areas and potential opportunities. My general plan is to hike, glass and keep moving/glassing until I turn something up. If all goes well, hopefully I'll have an opportunity to take a shot at a mature buck.

For my questions-
Is this a decent strategy for my first CO hunt?
With the weather seemingly being all over the board the last 5 years - what type of deer behavior can I expect to see for 2nd season?
I've got an emergency first aid kit, bear spray and my general deer hunting staples. Is there anything you wish you would have brought with you on some of your first hunts? Any piece of gear you never go without on a mule deer hunt?
Any tips on avoiding crowds and staying out of other hunters way?
If successful, I plan to quarter and pack out the deer in game bags. My pack is on the small side, a Sitka Mountain Hauler 2700. I'm thinking at worst I can accomplish this in 3 trips. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Any first timer mistake that you made that you'd advise me to avoid?

Overall I'm super excited for my hunt, but as a first timer a little anxious as well. Any general feedback or suggestions for someone in my position would be appreciated.

Great advice on a tripod or something (I use a small monopod with great success) to stabilize your binos. Also, I’d maybe buy a stumble on bear tag since you will be up high glassing a lot.
Most of all enjoy yourself and enjoy the country. Take time to enjoy the sunrise and look at it as a learning experience since you have never been there before. Good luck!!

Sounds like a good plan so far. I’d try to find a couple more spots in case the first couple don’t turn up any good bucks.
You may have snow, rain and sun all in the same day. Be prepared for some weather just in case.
Have a good time and enjoy the scenery as well. Good luck.

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLS
Back