PEAX Equipment

Extreme hunting pressure in region 7.

I certainly didn’t
I went in to your account and every permission on this forum was available to you.

I disconnected your current profile from your prior profile of Timmy that you asked to be deleted a few years ago. We can connect profiles to keep track of multiple aliases, previously banned/deleted accounts, or other reasons. If that causes some sort of issues, I'm not aware of it, as there are others who have connected profiles and they've not reported anything similar.

I went in to your account and every permission on this forum was available to you.

I disconnected your current profile from your prior profile of Timmy that you asked to be deleted a few years ago. We can connect profiles to keep track of multiple aliases, previously banned/deleted accounts, or other reasons. If that causes some sort of issues, I'm not aware of it, as there are others who have connected profiles and they've not reported anything similar.
Not sure big fin but I have full access now.

Is that the whole post or is there a part 2?
Eastern Montana is getting torched. The only way to stop it is to limit tags.
The residents of eastern Montana will suffer. Pretty straight forward. So I guess there might not be a point to my rant but that is what happened and anybody with a semi functioning brain should have saw it and tried to protect the resource.

There’s been so many discussions on deer hunting and management that I’ll stay away from specifics, but something I agree with you on, Doug, that I think about a lot:

Be it hunting or really any outdoor recreation, economics, passions, and many other things, in this rapidly changing West it will be rural locals - demographically a minority but culturally not so - who will be disproportionately affected as their historic and local experiences are diminished and in some cases extirpated by the hordes who travel from more densely populated areas to share in what those rural locals have loved for generations sans the outsiders.

I am interested to hear more about what you mean by this comment, I haven’t heard it put that way before.
I’ll be pithy because I’m on the phone and don’t want to derail the thread, but I’d argue that the foundational collection of behaviors, values, and beliefs( the very definition of culture ) that people live here for - move here for, visit here for - is dominated by the rural. Even as Montana’s towns explode in population, those folks doing the exploding are dreaming largely of experiences found in the rural. They travel to the rural on weekends. They zip to the rural after work. They hope to retire to the rural. They want to raise their kids in a place with rural values… I’m of course oversimplifying a delineation between the urban and the rural, but I’ve lived here for 40 years and watched it change and I see it and I feel it and it exists and is similar to the delineation between the old and the new.

Of course there’s culture and a lot of good and a lot of community in the urban areas of Montana, but I think if you surveyed the ideals of those who visit here, live here, and have recently moved here, the experiences the majority of those folks did so and do so for - occur beyond the valley they bought their house in. The scaffolding that holds up the chief reasons they love this place exist in landscapes occupied by a small minority of human beings who disproportionately feel the impacts of the desires of those who don’t live there.

The effects of urban Montana on rural Montana are really a microcosm of the effects of the rest of America to Montana at large right now.

@DFS can you take pictures or try to describe what you are seeing more?

I believe you - but im sure youve said this or similar things in years prior and in general feel this way - so i think for more people to believe you evidence and/or context would help make your case.

I’ll be pithy because I’m on the phone and don’t want to derail the thread, but I’d argue that the foundational collection of behaviors, values, and beliefs( the very definition of culture ) that people live here for - move here for, visit here for - is dominated by the rural. Even as Montana’s towns explode in population, those folks doing the exploding are dreaming largely of experiences found in the rural. They travel to the rural on weekends. They zip to the rural after work. They hope to retire to the rural. They want to raise their kids in a place with rural values… I’m of course oversimplifying a delineation between the urban and the rural, but I’ve lived here for 40 years and watched it change and I see it and I feel it and it exists and is similar to the delineation between the old and the new.

Of course there’s culture and a lot of good and a lot of community in the urban areas of Montana, but I think if you surveyed the ideals of those who visit here, live here, and have recently moved here, the experiences the majority of those folks did so and do so for - occur beyond the valley they bought their house in. The scaffolding that holds up the chief reasons they love this place exist in landscapes occupied by a small minority of human beings who disproportionately feel the impacts of the desires of those who don’t live there.

The effects of urban Montana on rural Montana are really a microcosm of the effects of the rest of America to Montana at large right now.
Summed it up perfectly.

There’s been so many discussions on deer hunting and management that I’ll stay away from specifics, but something I agree with you on, Doug, that I think about a lot:

Be it hunting or really any outdoor recreation, economics, passions, and many other things, in this rapidly changing West it will be rural locals - demographically a minority but culturally not so - who will be disproportionately affected as their historic and local experiences are diminished and in some cases extirpated by the hordes who travel from more densely populated areas to share in what those rural locals have loved for generations sans the outsiders.
How do we ever get them to share the same ideals of conservation that we cherish (ie. not killing two point mule deer every year, filling a car trailer with mule deer does etc.)? That's what's going to diminish our resources. These people think it's a free for all.

How do we ever get them to share the same ideals of conservation that we cherish (ie. not killing two point mule deer every year, filling a car trailer with mule deer does etc.)? That's what's going to diminish our resources. These people think it's a free for all.
Doe thing has been handled for now

You can’t. FWP is going to have to establish limits.

I wouldn’t say that “they” are any less likely to share ideals of conservation. Almost all of everyone’s role involved is circumstance. That said, I think rural folks need to be spoken up for, because they are often the type of folks who don’t speak up for themselves, and they increasingly feel they are being washed away.

I wouldn’t say that “they” are any less likely to share ideals of conservation. Almost all of everyone’s role involved is circumstance. That said, I think rural folks need to be spoken up for, because they are often the type of folks who don’t speak up for themselves, and they increasingly feel they are being washed away.
I'd agree to disagree. The way I look at it is if I had drawn/bought a tag in a different state, I'd want to "fit" in and try to harvest a mature buck, bull etc. It shows respect for the resource and respect for the state that you're hunting in. I'm not knocking on youth hunters and elderly hunters that want to fill their freezer but there comes a point in your hunting "career" where you care less about the "kill" and more about harvesting a good representation of the species. Maybe it's just me? There's something about hunting a mature mule deer for 20 days and finally killing it that dwarfs going to Glendive to kill 5 2-point bucks with your buddies. I think that in and of itself shows the real conservationist or who is actually interested in it. "There's always next year". Just my two cents.

Back