Extreme hunting pressure in region 7.

I was thinking from other scenarios in MT like shorter season (3-weeks instead of 5) and unlimited permits. For shorter seasons you might get dropped off pressure at first but then you may eventually end up with the same number of people condensed into a shorter time period.

I’m not familiar enough with ID but is that an area with similar terrain, populations, access, and hunter numbers as R7? General it may be but how do the numbers compare?

(Completely ignorant on that, which is why I’m asking.. thanks!)
When I was collecting antlers in SW MT and just across the boarder in Idaho back in the early 90's the quality was so much better in Idaho that I quit looking in MT even though the travel time was much less.

Living close to WY I often here that the quality is much better just across the boarder where the season starts Oct 1 and run just over two weeks.

It is not hard to imagination what would happen to WY regions H and G if hunting season ended the first of Dec when all of the deer are down on winter range.

Last edited:
Can someone take a few minutes and explain to me how season dates/regs are set adjusted when the bar for harvest reporting is so low? Telephone random surveys...really?
I have hunted most western states and NM, IRRC is the only state that requires you fill out a harvest survey...
If you dont really know what the harvest is how do you go about management thru regs/seasons?

Most states you can get e tags...why isn't e harvest reporting also required. Seems like a step in the direction to provide real data to help with management.

It's required in my home state for deer and turkey...it literally take 30 seconds and the data provided is invaluable state biologists.

In MT it’s a really simple rule. “It’s always been that way so we’re going to keep doing it “

I hadn't stepped foot in MT since I think around 2016 or 2017 until last week. I must say I put 1,100 Miles on a rental from SE through Central into Western Montana and I was amazed at the lack of deer and antelope in areas I was use to seeing hundreds of animals. We seriously saw one herd of antelope from I94 up through Roundup, Grass Range, into Lewistown. Sightings picked up from there into Big Timber. Paradise Valley was unbelievable as far as low numbers IMO compared to years ago. Probably my last trip unless I burn my lope archery points.

I hadn't stepped foot in MT since I think around 2016 or 2017 until last week. I must say I put 1,100 Miles on a rental from SE through Central into Western Montana and I was amazed at the lack of deer and antelope in areas I was use to seeing hundreds of animals. We seriously saw one herd of antelope from I94 up through Roundup, Grass Range, into Lewistown. Sightings picked up from there into Big Timber. Paradise Valley was unbelievable as far as low numbers IMO compared to years ago. Probably my last trip unless I burn my lope archery points.

Went and got hay from where I grew up yesterday afternoon. Normally you’d see at least 5-10 big herds of antelope when I was growing up. On this trip we didn’t see a single antelope but we did see 5 coyotes and of course didn’t have a gun in the pickup

Went and got hay from where I grew up yesterday afternoon. Normally you’d see at least 5-10 big herds of antelope when I was growing up. On this trip we didn’t see a single antelope but we did see 5 coyotes and of course didn’t have a gun in the pickup
That's another thing the herds we did see were mainly small herds of 5-10 animals. They just weren't there unless the first few days of rifle season had them pushed off into holes. I hope that's the case.

I had a buddy from Bozeman ask me some decent areas to hunt antelope. I think he believes I sent him into a desolate wasteland but I was being completely honest of where I thought he should go. Shipped calves on Saturday and a road that years ago would see little traffic was constant traffic of hunters. General season isn’t even open yet. The remedy is to limit tags and the reality is those tags will go to western Montana. It’s a big kick in the nuts to people that live here. Nothing is going to get “fixed”. It will get worse.

I whacked a coyote with a .22 pistol today and saw several others. They’ve been thick this year. Oddly enough so have racoons.

In MT it’s a really simple rule. “It’s always been that way so we’re going to keep doing it “
There used to be game zones here wirh a buck a day limit, honor system no tags required...
Shot a doe this evening did my e tag when I hit the hard top..notched my paper tag and attached to animal before it was moved from the field.
30 seconds on your phone seems like a good start ensure accurate data for the biologist that make the recommendations.

Public land quality elk rifle hunting is nonexistent in Montana. Public land antelope hunting is impossible in most areas. Public land deer hunting will be over in a few years. I wrote a letter to a FWP biologist about no antelope on public land in area 516. His response was the FWP proposed decreasing tags for public land and increasing the tag for private land. He said the sportsman uproar prevented the implementation. Well that pretty much says it all. The FWP mission is pure and simple, pay to play baby. I hope more hunters will complain and write letters to FWP but I suspect politicians are behind this. Lets get behind this like we get behind public access. Public access to barren ground isn't worth anything.
I'll go out tomorrow and Wednesday and won't see a single antelope on land I can hunt without paying.

Public land quality elk rifle hunting is nonexistent in Montana. Public land antelope hunting is impossible in most areas. Public land deer hunting will be over in a few years. I wrote a letter to a FWP biologist about no antelope on public land in area 516. His response was the FWP proposed decreasing tags for public land and increasing the tag for private land. He said the sportsman uproar prevented the implementation. Well that pretty much says it all. The FWP mission is pure and simple, pay to play baby. I hope more hunters will complain and write letters to FWP but I suspect politicians are behind this. Lets get behind this like we get behind public access. Public access to barren ground isn't worth anything.
I'll go out tomorrow and Wednesday and won't see a single antelope on land I can hunt without paying.
Think you got some wires crossed here I’m not aware of any private land antelope tags

No offense here, but if you can’t find an antelope on public land or on the BMA’s in that unit, the problem is you. There are antelope to hunt. Quality may not be great, and there may be some hunter pressure but there are antelope on huntable ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLS
Back