Elkoholic Retired!

Elkoholic

I’m happy to share with my HT friends I’m retiring! After 36yrs in the auto industry with one employer, hitting the age of 55 I’m eligible for retirement, my last day is Monday, Aug. 5th for the obligatory exit interview & laptop/phone turn in, then I’m free! Many co-workers and friends have asked leading up to this “What are you going to do?” My Answer --> NOT WORK EVER AGAIN!

I’m planning to keep my home base in Ohio and travel wherever the heck I want, when I want, with who I want. Mainly lots of scouting, hunting, fishing, hiking and camping trips are my plans. I’ve have some points built up in a few states it’s time to use, including tagging along with friends on as many of their hunts that I can, packing meat and enjoying the experiences with them.

I’ll be hitting the road Monday with my trusted best friend, my Golden Retriever (Kodiak), he’s 12yrs old now and slowing down, but I’m glad he’s still around to head west with me.

First up is…
  • Aug. 5th head west to Co. to camp, fish and moose scouting for a friend that has a tag this fall.
  • Next, I’ll swing up to Wy. for a week scouting for elk, camping and fishing.
  • I want to learn to fly fish somewhere in between all this.
  • Continuing north I’ll swing up through MT. for more camping, fishing, hiking and visiting with friends and family.
  • Sept. 7th I’ll drop back down into Co. to join my friend for the opener of his moose hunt.
  • Late Sept./early Oct. back to Wy. Team up with @teamhoyt to help @Kiwi and his son on their elk hunt.
  • Early Nov. archery WT rut hunt my place in Ohio.
  • Mid Nov. back to Mt. to tag along with @Gerald Martin & his boys along with other well-known members on their deer hunts.
  • Christmas heading to Fla. for few weeks to relax and visit friends that have moved south.
I’m 55yrs young, single and in good health, can still carry a pack, and think I get around pretty good for an old, retired guy. As the last 4-5yrs has been an absolute grind at work and in life I plan to “stoke the fire” that’s been half lit recently. Hoping I don’t turn into some who retire and end up feeling they have no purpose… I’ve got plenty of purpose --> it’s me time, and I really don’t care what anyone else thinks about that.

I plan to visit all my ‘happy places’ more often and find new undiscovered happy places. I could potentially fall into the “whatever happened to?” thread at times, as I plan to be off grid as much as possible enjoying our Public Lands. Hopefully along my way I can have a few beers with some of you. I want to catch a small-town rodeo (never been), maybe need to hit up Chris. I plan to volunteer for some fence pulling or clean-up projects now that I'll have the time. Highly doubt in retirement I’ll shank any tents however I will be on the look-out for mountain yoga. If I run across some midget strippers, I know a guy I’ll be visiting (would hate to show up empty handed). Don’t hate on me if the ‘Sunday pic of the day’ becomes ‘Dave’s pic of the day’. I don’t plan on finding out the best grizzly protection, but imagine I’ll spot a few from time to time. And I definitely don’t plan to miss any more spring HT Bear hunts with the crew!

I’m extremely blessed and thankful, looking forward to this next chapter in my life. Best wishes to you all and hope each of you who haven't already done so get to have this feeling some day in your lives. If you happen to see me around during my travels say hi!

- Dave

Good going. I retired in 2008 will be 68 this fall and never looked back. will be in WY. this fall looking for my 22nd elk with a bow. life is good. it's ok your from Ohio. John C. (from Mi.)

Congrats to you. I’m hoping to “semi-retire” somewhere around 55, but I doubt that I’ll be in as good of shape when I get there

I’m happy to share with my HT friends I’m retiring! After 36yrs in the auto industry with one employer, hitting the age of 55 I’m eligible for retirement, my last day is Monday, Aug. 5th
Fantastic! Congratulations! Well earned. We're going to have to cross paths again.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back