Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

Picked up two boxes of these, anyone had any experience using them on Elk? I don't have enough time to complete reloading the speer gland slams this summer.
I have used them on Muleys and antelope and had good results. Never tried on elk...

Picked up two boxes of these, anyone had any experience using them on Elk? I don't have enough time to complete reloading the speer gland slams this summer.
If I remember right, I took A cow elk and a black bear with that load in 2021. No Problem.

Still working out bullet choices. It likely 250grain Speer Grand Slam.

Last edited:
Went to the long range last Friday to narrow down my rifles. Settled the two that consistently shot the best. Started with 1" groups from both of these. Browning BLR in .300 Win Mag with 180gr Trophy Copper (1st Choice) and a backup rifle that I'll use for mule deer, a Browning BLR in 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr TSX's. My two 7 mags and my .30-06 just seem to love the Federal Premium ammo. They love the 160gr Accubond (which they don't make anymore :( ) and the 160 gr TSX.

Both the Browning BARs Ive been getting highly incosistent groups out of, in .300 win mag & .270 Win. I threw in the towel. One time they'd shoot 1-1-1/4" groups then the group would move and it would be 4-5" groups. I'll get back to them in the Spring. They're in the safe taking a snooze for now.

Glad you brought this up... I didn't want to be the one to ask, is 6.5cm enough 🤔😂.
I'd say yes, depending on the bullet. Shot 139gr Hornadys in my 6.5x06 some years ago and killed three cows where they stood! Have a 6.5x55 and 260 Rem I'm shooting 140gr Speer Hot Cores in and wouldn't hesitate to use either on elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back