Kenetrek Boots

Eldx vs evostrike

I have found similar results from gel tests and reviews/forums from the eldx but the Norma is questionable for me because the front half on the evostrike is meant to be frangible. I would like to start reloading for the rifle but I don’t have the gear yet and am not sure where to start. If you have any recommendations on equipment to try and start I’d greatly appreciate it.
Ok, I guess first things first.
The front of the Evostrike being "frangible" would give it the characteristics of a Hammer or Cutting Edge bullet.
In other words, not a bad thing at all!!

Every reloading manufacturer has "starter kits".
Who's kit you get is totally dependent upon your budget.
And none of the manufacturers are total junk. Some are slightly better than others, but even the more budget friendly can have you making quality ammo.
You don't NEED anything fancy. Especially when starting out.

You would be best advised, I believe to get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading, and one manual.
I'd recommend a bullet manufacturers manual over a powder manufacturer.

I don't follow. One load will do anything he needs of it, but he seemingly has 2 or 3 options that would. But that's not enough and he should reload?
He has 2 loads that he said worked for him.
Judging from the shops in my area, the Norma Evostrike is not "mainstream".
In other words, when whomever he is buying it from sells out, is he going to be able to find it again?

The other one is really an inferior bullet in my opinion.

Aside from the original purchase of the equipment, you can reload with premium bullets for about half the cost of factory ammo.
Shoot the box of 20 rounds of reloads, go make more.

Actually, weight retention kills by allowing the bullet to penetrating deeper into the animal and reaching the right place. I think weight retention has little else to do with it other than delivering more Ft Lbs of energy at the target.
Ok, I guess first things first.
The front of the Evostrike being "frangible" would give it the characteristics of a Hammer or Cutting Edge bullet.
In other words, not a bad thing at all!!

Every reloading manufacturer has "starter kits".
Who's kit you get is totally dependent upon your budget.
And none of the manufacturers are total junk. Some are slightly better than others, but even the more budget friendly can have you making quality ammo.
You don't NEED anything fancy. Especially when starting out.

You would be best advised, I believe to get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading, and one manual.
I'd recommend a bullet manufacturers manual over a powder manufacturer.

I'll just say its interesting to me how people arrive at the conclusions they do. Nearly every "long range" bullet has a tapered jacket to make the tip more frangible and the base tougher. Including eldx.

Neither would be my first choice in a perfect world. However, the world is not perfect. I shoot the eldx out of a mag because the load I developed shoots lights out and easy for me to obtain materials for and has put a ton of meat in the freezer. I will continue with this load for the foreseeable future.

I love ELD-X they flat kill stuff. That being said, I have started putting 2 ELD-X in the bottom of my mag and the top one is a Hornady Outfitter. They zero the same at 200 and if I’m going to shoot beyond that I will rack in an ELD-X so my ballistics work out.

I'll just say its interesting to me how people arrive at the conclusions they do. Nearly every "long range" bullet has a tapered jacket to make the tip more frangible and the base tougher. Including eldx.
You have a point to a degree.

Even the Hornady SST & Interlock, Nosler Accubond and Ballistic Tip.
Although none of those are typically what one would choose for shooting long range.

They all behave differently in their terminal performance.
Some expand more rapidly than others.

My friends and I have recovered a lot of SST, Interlock, ELD bullets from deer.
In the 40 years of deer hunting, I have yet to recover a Ballistic Tip.
The Hornady's have all expanded rapidly, doing more shallow damage.
The Ballistic Tip doesn't open quite as fast, and does more damage to the vitals, giving a pass through.

Heck, even the Berger VLD seems to penetrate deeper before rapidly expanding. Making Jello of the vitals, and dumping all it's energy.
I usually find the jacket under the offside hide. But have yet to see a deer make it more than 20 yards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasen Olsen
Back