Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Eldx vs evostrike

Eagle376

This past year I picked up a bergara b14 wilderness terrain in 7mm rem mag as a do all type of rifle. Unfortunately it is very ammo picky and only shoots 2-3 loadings at that sub moa guarantee. The two that it really likes is Norma’s 127gr evostrike and hornadys 162gr eldx. The gun does prefer the evostrikes slightly in terms of accuracy producing about 1” or so at 200 yards but I cannot find any actual tests or reviews and for the eldx I’ve seen rather mixed views.

I wanted to know what everyone thinks would be the better option for a deer hunt with shot opportunities from about 0-300+ yards.
Or should I use something that’s doesn’t group quite as well?

Sounds like the eldx is the one. Not necessarily my first choice bullet but it would definitely make the cut for a deer bullet with the parameters you’re describing. Sounds like you’ve got an accurate setup. My two cents is just run with it. I’m a hypocrite though, I’d probably load a handful of other stuff and look for a magical recipe. I mean let’s face it,,,, no self respecting person settles on a load that is perfectly fine when you could do better.
Haha

Answer - It doesn't matter. ELDx will make bigger wounds but its not like a 7mm mono at 3k fps is going to struggle to kill a deer. It sounds like both shoot better than basically any hunter does in field situations.

I wouldn’t hesitate with either but I would lean toward the Norma. I’ve had good experiences with their other bullets and you won’t be lacking velocity with that combo. If you choose the eldx just stay clear of the shoulder and you’ll be fine. Hitting the shoulder won’t cause you any trouble but that eldx will cost you some roasts.

@Eagle376,

If you have a rifle that only likes 2 types of ammo, I really think it's time to start reloading!
You can find accurate loads for your rifle with a little bit of work.

I reload for 4 different 7mm Rem Mags. Everything from 100gr Sierra HP Varmint through 175gr ABLR.

Of the 2 you listed, I'd go with the Norma.
I have shot deer with the 162gr ELDX, and I have them sitting on my shelf. Gotta say, I'm not a fan of them for hunting.
From the 10 deer I've seen hit with them a Berger VLD (known for coming apart) penetrates deeper with more internal damage.

I wouldn’t hesitate with either but I would lean toward the Norma. I’ve had good experiences with their other bullets and you won’t be lacking velocity with that combo. If you choose the eldx just stay clear of the shoulder and you’ll be fine. Hitting the shoulder won’t cause you any trouble but that eldx will cost you some roasts.
I generally like Norma’s bullets but this one is rather unique in that it’s two pieces of tin held together where the front is supposed to fragment while the back pushes through. It’s left me somewhat mixed and the lack of ballistic tests and field use stories makes me question performance.

@Eagle376,

If you have a rifle that only likes 2 types of ammo, I really think it's time to start reloading!

I reload for 4 different 7mm Rem Mags. Everything from 100gr Sierra HP Varmint through 175gr ABLR.

I have shot deer with the 162gr ELDX, and I have them sitting on my shelf. Gotta say, I'm not a fan of them for hunting.
From the 10 deer I've seen hit with them a Berger VLD (known for coming apart) penetrates deeper with more internal damage.
I have found similar results from gel tests and reviews/forums from the eldx but the Norma is questionable for me because the front half on the evostrike is meant to be frangible. I would like to start reloading for the rifle but I don’t have the gear yet and am not sure where to start. If you have any recommendations on equipment to try and start I’d greatly appreciate it.

I have never heard of evostrike bullet's and certainly never seen any of them so my vote it for the Hornady. When I had a 7mm Rem Mag the best shooting bullet was the 160gr Speer Hot Core. Next was the 154gr Hornady Spire Point. I don't follow all the new bullets to closely but tell you what, bet I could kill anything in N. America with pretty much any one of them. Killing is about knowing how to use what your using.

I have found similar results from gel tests and reviews/forums from the eldx but the Norma is questionable for me because the front half on the evostrike is meant to be frangible. I would like to start reloading for the rifle but I don’t have the gear yet and am not sure where to start. If you have any recommendations on equipment to try and start I’d greatly appreciate it.
Theres a lot of forums/reviews that are flat ignorant on ballistics topics too. I imagine some of them would also tell you carbs are better than fuel injected engines and other misc fuddlore. The deer, antelope, and bear i shot with eldxs all exited - with a 3-4" hole.

Apparently - if i had just bought some wildly overpriced pure copper bullets or yesteryears tech theyd have somehow been more dead.

If anything - the damage from eldx, ablr, bergers, or other "long range" hunting bullets is too much at close range.

From my experience the entire eldx bullet is "frangible". Shot 3 pronghorn with a 178 gr eldx in my 30-06. Every time they basically exploded on impact with 0 weight retention. They worked great for poking holes in paper about all they're good for IMO.

From my experience the entire eldx bullet is "frangible". Shot 3 pronghorn with a 178 gr eldx in my 30-06. Every time they basically exploded on impact with 0 weight retention. They worked great for poking holes in paper about all they're good for IMO.
How does weight retention kill?

@Eagle376,

I don't follow. One load will do anything he needs of it, but he seemingly has 2 or 3 options that would. But that's not enough and he should reload?

Theres a lot of forums/reviews that are flat ignorant on ballistics topics too. I imagine some of them would also tell you carbs are better than fuel injected engines and other misc fuddlore. The deer, antelope, and bear i shot with eldxs all exited - with a 3-4" hole.

Apparently - if i had just bought some wildly overpriced pure copper bullets or yesteryears tech theyd have somehow been more dead.

If anything - the damage from eldx, ablr, bergers, or other "long range" hunting bullets is too much at close range.
That would be my concern for the ELD-X based on the OP's 0 to 300 yard range. My 7mag came from my father in law and he just used good ole Core Lokts but he said at close range with high muzzle velocity he got really poor penetration because they just blew up. If most shots are going to be 100+ yards, probably totally fine, but if it's a tight woods gun where most shots will be 50, I would choose a bonded or mono bullet. And also if most shots are 50 yards, you don't need sub-moa. 🤫

p.s. I love the term fuddlore.

I generally like Norma’s bullets but this one is rather unique in that it’s two pieces of tin held together where the front is supposed to fragment while the back pushes through. It’s left me somewhat mixed and the lack of ballistic tests and field use stories makes me question performance.
So it’s basically a Nosler partition made with tin instead of lead. I’m not sure why that wouldn’t be effective on the lungs of a deer? Only one way to find out…

That would be my concern for the ELD-X based on the OP's 0 to 300 yard range. My 7mag came from my father in law and he just used good ole Core Lokts but he said at close range with high muzzle velocity he got really poor penetration because they just blew up. If most shots are going to be 100+ yards, probably totally fine, but if it's a tight woods gun where most shots will be 50, I would choose a bonded or mono bullet. And also if most shots are 50 yards, you don't need sub-moa. 🤫

Did the animal die? What velocity?

Most of the problems ive heard with eldx bullets are a scenario of running them too fast because theyre shooting too light of a bullet - usually because of chamber design/twist. In example - a 300 rum/wby with a 178 eldx - is going way too fast to hold together.

ELDx are going to be violent at close range but I'd have zero fear with them penetrating sufficiently for a whitetail.

Don't need Sub MOA and dont need a 7 mag for a whitetail either. It's all noise in the big scheme of things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntTalkMa’am
Back