Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Do you like my elk hunt plan?

SRW

Veterans of the elk woods….I come to you seeking your criticism, encouragement, pro tips and general tomfoolery regarding my Plan A for hunting elk this fall.

I’ve been deer hunting nearly 20 years but this will be my first attempt at hunting elk. I have a first rifle either sex elk tag in Colorado. While this is not an OTC hunt, the unit it is in does have OTC tags for archery and 2nd/3rd rifle seasons. So, I’m expecting the elk to be pretty well harassed by archers and muzzleloader hunters by the time I get a crack at them. Thus, targeting roadless areas with relatively low density of trails (but not zero).

Here is my plan:

Park at trailhead around 9,500 ft. Hike in approx 4-6 miles (depending on exactly where we decide to set camp). Camp will be between 11k and 11.5k feet.

From camp, I can hike up to a ridge line at 12,000 ish feet - probably will be a little over a mile from camp. From that ridge, you can look down into a couple mile long stretch of N/NE facing slopes that offer a good mix of dark timber, grassy parks and avalanche chutes.
Also can look down into a saddle that seems like a natural path for game to take between drainages.

My plan is to focus on the slopes and saddle I mentioned, but the ridge line also offers fairly quick and easy (as far as alpine travel goes…) mobility throughout the area and access to a couple different drainages in case this one doesn’t pan out - but that could be getting quite far from the truck for a pack out.
Generally, I expect to find elk within a couple hundred feet up or down of the treeline.

I’ve boots-on-the-ground scouted the area a few times and generally like what I see. It looks “elk-y” to my inexperienced eye, but I’ve not yet seen an elk in there. I have seen what I believe to be a significant amount of elk droppings, though quite dry/old. That said, I’ve also only been back there during the day and not at prime dusk/dawn hours. Hoping to camp in this area at least once prior to season and hopefully at least see an elk.

My questions for you guys are:

1. What does my plan not consider that it should? I do have a buddy lined up to help me pack out and I have loose plans B&C, but nothing firm yet.
2. What do you think my odds are of dealing with a significant number of other hunters, considering the distance I’m talking about packing in during a limited draw hunt?
3. Am I on the right track in terms of planning to hunt around treeline?
4. If I do get the chance to camp and explore the area at dusk/dawn prior to season but still do not lay eyes on or hear an elk, do you think I’d be wise to scrap this plan and come up with something else or stick with this area?
5. Am I committing too hard on an area with unknown elk hunting odds by hiking in this far?

Any and all feedback is welcome…looking to see if this is a plan the pros would feel good about or if I’m a moron and missing something critical. Any questions, ask away (as long as the questions don’t involve GPS coordinates 😉).

Thanks in advance and good hunting to all this season!

What if you don’t see elk when you camp there one last time before the season starts?

Don't commit too hard to a specific area if you haven't confirmed there's elk there. Without knowing how long your trip is, I'd have a half dozen or so areas figured out for hunting, then work the areas over.

Going in 6 miles and hunting from there is a great idea if you know there's elk in there. Until that's confirmed, go in light and expect to be pulling out the next day if there's no fresh sign or elk spotted. If possible, let your eyes do the walking for you.

I think all that is really good prep and a good start. After years and years of this my plan has simplified to this:

Where are there no people. Thats where the elk will be. I literally just talked to a ODFW guy yesterday about my big hunt coming up. While there are only 20 tags I asked him where most people enter unit. Told me most will enter from X then span out. I told him perfect. I am going in from the other side. He tells is very steep and thick and its a hard entry.

PERFECT, thats where the elk will end up. ( I hope)

In my experience, trailheads and trails are more populated than roads in many units. Everyone wants to go 5 miles deep to "escape pressure," only to get back there and find multiple other people doing the exact same thing, or sometimes outfitters with multiple camps in the area. Just my two cents, but first season is only five days long. If you are committing to hiking that far in, you better know what you're getting into. If you get back there and there are multiple camps in there, you've wasted at least a day of your five day hunt.

When it comes to trailheads, I've always said you're better off hiking in a mile and going a mile off of the trail and hunting there than you are to hike five miles in on a trail and hunting from there, because that's what everyone else wants to do. Again, just my two cents.

If it were me, I'd find a way to be as mobile as possible if I were hunting a unit for the first time. I'd have up to 10 spots for a five day hunt, one for morning and evening of each day, and I'd hit those spots until I found elk. When you're on foot from a camp, it can be very difficult to have that many spots to check out. You're essentially confined to one area with a few spots unless you move camp in the middle of the hunt.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Snow plan - I plan to hunt in the snow unless there’s enough snow to push the elk down the mountain and/or significantly impede travel for us. If that happens, there’s an area over on the other side of the unit that is lower in elevation/more sagebrushy country. I do know from some late spring hiking that that area is winter range for the animals, so I think that’s a decent option if they get pushed down by snow. BUT I’m glad this was brought up because I have spent very little time considering a good snow plan and need to fine tune.

If it does snow a ton, is there a planet where it makes sense to hunt this same area but just move down in elevation a bit to where there is less or no snow? Or do you think that would be futile?

If the trailhead is full…that’s a good question. It’s a fairly low traffic trailhead to begin with. There’s nothing flashy (14ers, etc.) back there that attracts hordes of backpackers or other hikers and you have to hike a few miles of closed logging road before getting to the trail (included in my mileage #s), so I’d be really shocked if that happens. I’ve been back there on summer Saturdays and Friday afternoons (theoretically the busiest times for a trail) and there have never been more than 3 cars, including me. That said, there’s another trail that you can use to access this general area from the other direction. If this trailhead is slammed, I think I’d give that other trail a shot. It’s about 10-12 miles away as the crow flies, so if trailhead A is slammed, hopefully TH B would be less busy and theoretically provide access to still a decent hunting area.

CO rifle seasons are preciously short…so I’ve only got 5 days to get ‘er done. My plan is to hike in two days prior to season for final scouting and, if there are other people hunting the area, hopefully getting there early will give us first shot at the choicest camping spots + get a leg up on other hunters in terms of patterning the elk prior to season opening.

@belshawelk - I like where your head is at. My plan is of the same school of thought…get away from the people and hike in further than average joe is willing to go. This unit in general has some pretty steep country and some fairly flat road huntable areas. My spot is on the steeper end without being stupid steep, so I’m hoping most will focus their efforts on areas they can cruise around on ATVs and that will keep them out of the area I’m targeting.

I’m beginning to realize how critical it’s going to be to get in there and lay eyes on some elk before the season. Since the season is so short, I’d like to not waste time in those 5 days bouncing around to different areas and breaking down/re-setting camp.

I greatly appreciate the thoughts here fellas…keep em coming!

In my experience, trailheads and trails are more populated than roads in many units. Everyone wants to go 5 miles deep to "escape pressure," only to get back there and find multiple other people doing the exact same thing, or sometimes outfitters with multiple camps in the area. Just my two cents, but first season is only five days long. If you are committing to hiking that far in, you better know what you're getting into. If you get back there and there are multiple camps in there, you've wasted at least a day of your five day hunt.

When it comes to trailheads, I've always said you're better off hiking in a mile and going a mile off of the trail and hunting there than you are to hike five miles in on a trail and hunting from there, because that's what everyone else wants to do. Again, just my two cents.

If it were me, I'd find a way to be as mobile as possible if I were hunting a unit for the first time. I'd have up to 10 spots for a five day hunt, one for morning and evening of each day, and I'd hit those spots until I found elk. When you're on foot from a camp, it can be very difficult to have that many spots to check out. You're essentially confined to one area with a few spots unless you move camp in the middle of the hunt.
Interesting perspective…I hadn’t thought about it like this. Makes sense and I like where your head is. I’ll do some e-scouting with this in mind and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

If it does snow a ton, is there a planet where it makes sense to hunt this same area but just move down in elevation a bit to where there is less or no snow? Or do you think that would be futile?
Yes. In my experience, elk will tend to stay in an area until they are forced down by snow, especially bulls. Cows might get ahead of it a little more, but unless a storm dumps feet of snow, you won't find them in the wintering area until much later in the season. They'll be somewhere in between summer range and winter range.

Reactions: SRW
Like others have said, and to put it bluntly, you just seem to have a lot of confidence in and are putting all your eggs in a basket where you haven’t yet laid eyes on an elk. It just seems awfully bold! Now you COULD be right, and all the things line up for a great elk hunt. But what if you’re wrong… You've only got one egg left and not much of a basket to put it in, with no plan B.

I hunt elk every year and have been burned by a backcountry spot that is near and dear to my heart. There were ALWAYS elk there…until one year there wasn’t. 3 days in there with nothing but walking around.

Just be sure there’s elk there before gambling this much time and energy.

Like others have said, and to put it bluntly, you just seem to have a lot of confidence in and are putting all your eggs in a basket where you haven’t yet laid eyes on an elk. It just seems awfully bold! Now you COULD be right, and all the things line up for a great elk hunt. But what if you’re wrong… You've only got one egg left and not much of a basket to put it in, with no plan B.

I hunt elk every year and have been burned by a backcountry spot that is near and dear to my heart. There were ALWAYS elk there…until one year there wasn’t. 3 days in there with nothing but walking around.

Just be sure there’s elk there before gambling this much time and energy.
Well said.

I don’t understand why new to elk hunting people think you need to backpack hunt elk. I don’t think you understand the reality of killing an elk 4-6 miles from the road. You’re going to spend a couple days moving the elk if you kill plus camp. 6 miles is one load a day. It’s not fun, I’ve done it.

If I was hunting the unit, I’d show up a few days early to scout, trying to find elk. I’d have a few potential locations scouted. I’d camp at the road and hunt different locations based on seeing elk and potentially hunter pressure.

I don’t understand why new to elk hunting people think you need to backpack hunt elk. I don’t think you understand the reality of killing an elk 4-6 miles from the road. You’re going to spend a couple days moving the elk if you kill plus camp. 6 miles is one load a day. It’s not fun, I’ve done it.

If I was hunting the unit, I’d show up a few days early to scout, trying to find elk. I’d have a few potential locations scouted. I’d camp at the road and hunt different locations based on seeing elk and potentially hunter pressure.
I agree that packing an elk 4-6 miles solo would be quite an undertaking.

It sounds like this is your first time hunting elk in this particular unit. Priority #1 is to find where there are elk. Cover as much ground as possible until you find elk or very fresh sign of elk. When looking for elk in a new area, I'm looking for dark timber, aspens and water.

get away from the people and hike in further than average joe is willing to go
this option hasn't existed in a while, if it's on a trail there's literally no distance that will get you away from people...
I’m beginning to realize how critical it’s going to be to get in there and lay eyes on some elk before the season. Since the season is so short, I’d like to not waste time in those 5 days bouncing around to different areas and breaking down/re-setting camp.
I find that that setting up a truck camp at a central location and being able to move around to different areas easily is key in CO first rifle hunts, keep in mind that even if you have elk scouted they are likely going to get totally blown out opening morning, I go into first rifle hunts assuming my plan A is good for about an hour opening morning, I have a bull I want to kill located and I'm as close as I can safely get in the dark, I pursue that until I kill that bull or he gets blown out by other hunters, then I pull stakes and go to spots I can glass a ton of country to see where elk went in the opening day shuffle, it's a rare spot that is good opening morning and all the way through season too...

I don’t think you understand the reality of killing an elk 4-6 miles from the road. You’re going to spend a couple days moving the elk if you kill plus camp. 6 miles is one load a day. It’s not fun, I’ve done it.
These are wise words.

Remember "Man plans, God (and elk) laugh"

If you have the capability to have many long range glassing points that you can move between quickly and efficiently FINDING elk is your first task. Then you can create a plan. Don't get committed to One Draw, Watershed or Ridge. You are going to find good looking country and try to spot some elk hide while covering as much ground as possible on the first days of your hunt. When you hear or see elk THEN you start planning how you are going to get in range to kill the elk. Seldom do you find the elk and kill the elk in the same day/hunt. ie: don't drop down into the dark timber at the bottom of a deep canyon on day one unless you are sure there is elk in there you saw or heard.
Don't TOTALLY avoid people. There are people there at the trailhead because people kill elk there. Elk will circle to avoid pressure, and using crowds to your advantage is a worthwhile strategy. I've killed elk other people have bumped and people in the spot I wanted to be in on opening morning made me move and find elk.

Find Elk in the evening and kill them in the morning. Unless you have a bull screaming at you within 100 yards in the evening spot elk in the evening and make a plan for the first thing next morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back