Caribou Gear Tarp

Dead horses

Jwill

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...ss-blocks-slaughtering-horses-for-meat-in-u-s Pretty sane comments section too, surprised to see that.

Anybody else see this article, where do you guys fall on this? I'm pretty squarely against anything the HSUS is up to. Those folks aren't willing to pay the freight on the unwanted animals and are more than content to let them run wild, unchecked on our public lands... Might be worth a call to your congressman.

Slaughter them. I've always had horses, always will. My family has been breeding horses since the 50's and horses are a very important part of my life. Anybody try to sell a horse lately. The common mans horse isn't worth the hay you feed it. Had to finally break down and take two horses to an auction. Gelded 3yr olds that are well broke. Got $500 a piece, and that was luck. Those horses sold for 2-3k not even 10 years ago. At the auction, people lock their empty trailers to keep people from putting unwanted horses in them. People ditch them on gravel roads and at farm houses. Horses are a dime a dozen but cost and arm and a leg to keep. Slaughter houses are a viable solution, both for by products and consumption.

They're like feral hogs but bigger. There are tons of them in Nevada competing for forage with the deer and antelope.
Why can't we sell tags to the Europeans to come over and hunt them for food? We could setup CWMUs, RFWs, get Doyle and company out there with their radios and make it a big deal. Millions could be raised for wildlife management when the Euros come in to harvest Seabiscuit's cousins. I bet we could even get a governor's tag for the highest bidder.

Seriously they're out of control in a lot of areas and any kind of management of their numbers sets the anti hunting crowd's panties on fire.

It would be a complete paradigm shift for us to see companion animals as a potential food source (Dogs, cats, horses, etc). But looking at it logically, is it more humane to let horses starve to death than to humanely dispatch them? "Ick" factor aside, I think it makes more sense to use their value (companionship or food) rather than waste either one. It's all part managing our resources.
Lobster used to be considered a bottom feeding mud bug that you couldn't give away and now it's a delicacy. It's all in your point of view.

"We don't have dog and cat slaughter plants in the U.S..." Pacelle writes.

Seriously? Most shelters in the US euthanize animals that aren't adopted in a certain amount of time.

There was an add floating around facebook for 52 free horses in Ohio. Apparently the owner died and his son couldn't care for them long term. They were all thorough bred with papers.

I was just googling to find out more about the HSUS euthanization policies.

I found this on Pacelle's blog from the HSUS website:

"It's simple mathematics. If euthanasia is not occurring and intake of dogs and cats is significantly exceeding adoptions, then overcrowding and warehousing—and the attendant suffering—are the undesirable and also unacceptable outcomes.

How is a horse any freaking different? Other than they take up more space, and require more food than cats/dogs.

Slaughter them. Folks will eat it and some (ie prisoners, homeless, etc) would be glad to have it.

On public lands, I'd support allowing them to be shot by sportsmen. Gathers are expensive and very difficult (litigation + red tape) to get done so that they are actually effective.

Wouldn't take much of a "sportsman" to shoot feral horses. mtmuley
Still be more effective and cheaper than the cluster that is "wild" horse management as currently practiced. That's what is done with most all other species where populations are too high. IMO horses, if treated for the most part like wildlife, should be no different.

I know of one office that spent $80K over two summers hauling water to them. Crappy ROI in my opinion...

PS- I am far from a fan of the management of "wild" horses. It's done by emotion, politics, and through the courts. Namely it sucks.

How many people are feeding there horse before there family. Open the slaughter houses!!!!

1pointer, can't argue the dollars involved. BUT, I've been around wild horses. You won't see this sportsman killing any. Not a tough deal putting bullets in them. If you have to kill stuff just to kill, great idea. mtmuley

1pointer, can't argue the dollars involved. BUT, I've been around wild horses. You won't see this sportsman killing any. Not a tough deal putting bullets in them. If you have to kill stuff just to kill, great idea. mtmuley

Or a ''Sportsman'' categorizes Feral horses as a non-native invasive specie the same as Feral hogs,cats,dogs. If legal I would have no compunction in shooting them all. I agree there would be no sport in it and I have no desire to eat them.

spook, I didn't say anything of my personal feelings on the feral horse problem itself. 12 years in Nevada showed me the problems firsthand. Just said I wouldn't put bullets into a half tame animal. Not a damn thing "sporting" about killing one. mtmuley

HTML:
Or a ''Sportsman'' categorizes Feral horses as a non-native invasive specie the same as Feral hogs,cats,dogs. If legal I would have no compunction in shooting them all. I agree there would be no sport in it and I have no desire to eat them.
Agreed! I've more than 'been around them' and the way they are managed often makes them a scourge. 'Course I'd probably try at least one steak! :eek:

Folks concerned with grazing practices/management on public lands should really be concerned with 'wild' horse management. The way the rules are written and more importantly interpreted, they are much tougher to manage and harder on the landscape that cattle and sheep IMO.

This argument sure gets emotional. Ever wonder how Asian Indians feel about our beef eating habit?

Redwood, if 3 yr old broke geldings were bringing $300, what were mares bringing? My bet is nothing or there abouts.

It's a supply and demand issue; and there is supply and demand for the "killer" market.

Speak to any knowledgeable horseman with a sense of logic and they understand this market must be reopened. Loose horses being taken to the edge of town or into the national forest and kicked out is not a the way to handle an oversupply of horses.

Hell I just gave away 2 broodmares that I'm certain were homozygous tricolors. Retained breeding rights to keep back a few foals if needed but what's the point. At least now I don't have to deal with them and some girls got awesome 4H horses as they were both well broke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeoregonhunter
Back