Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CPW Posts Picture of Sick Deer Fed Birdseed

LCH........I thought it was a funny story. The deer was already trained by others who feed her. I didn't go out of my way to feed her but her begging was more than I could take.

You went back 5 years to find this? What a trouble maker.

Last edited:
LCH........I thought it was a funny story. The deer was already trained by others who feed her. I didn't go out of my way to feed her but her begging was more than I could take.

You went back 5 years to find this? What a trouble maker.
Nah, I remembered your story. I thought it was funny too, which is why I posted.

I haven't been in Aussie country in years. I did 2 weeks in Sidney in an exchange thing with the Aussie Marines. Man they talk funny.

I did witness kangaroos kicking people to get treats or if they got too close. That is true. Feeding wildlife can create dangerous situations.

Don't judge aussie's based off those Sydney blokes!

I've had my share of close calls with the buggers, usually trying to get farm dogs away from them. A lady down the road went for a walk couple of years back and a big boomer (buck) set upon her. Ended up with black eyes and a few bruises but nothing too bad. Usually hear about an evisceration at least once a year in the media because some idiot has gone too close.

Nature is great to watch but leave it at that (unless you're hunting).

Funny to hear people say apples and corn are bad for deer. I would have thought the thousands of tons of deer feed in Michigan woods over the years would’ve killed them all off by now. I know foods are hard to digest when the animal is starving but that’s limited cases. Nothing like watching people load pickups with front end loaders full of apples, cabbage, corn, beets, and carrots. Feeding is now prohibited based on CWD concerns only.

Funny to hear people say apples and corn are bad for deer. I would have thought the thousands of tons of deer feed in Michigan woods over the years would’ve killed them all off by now. I know foods are hard to digest when the animal is starving but that’s limited cases. Nothing like watching people load pickups with front end loaders full of apples, cabbage, corn, beets, and carrots. Feeding is now prohibited based on CWD concerns only.

Misreading the post. Apples are bad when they are fermented or when they are not used to eating them. If they have been eating that kinda food for long term then they have adapted and eventually digest that kinda food. Feeding should be outlawed in all states because it breaks down their fear of humans and may cause them to look for that kind of food stead of what they really need for long term survival. It also causes wildlife to seek out human sources of food rather than their natural feeding areas.

My neighbors feed wildlife all the time. When they see antelope or deer in town, they start tossing things to them like lettuce, carrots, etc and one lady puts food out for wildlife every day. If they only realized how much harm it actually does to wildlife.

Why is this in the "Big Game Hunting" forum? Should move it to the "Clickbait News" forum...

I’m not suggesting that feeding wildlife is a good idea, but I’m not convinced that birdseed have the deer cancer or that the sick doe full of corn was sick just from the corn. In both cases the food was far from ideal, but I would guess that there is a high probability that both deer were sick from other causes, and their illnesses led them to rely on easy food sources instead of working hard to forage for their natural food sources. Deer in TX get corn from feeders year round and if harmed them the hill country would be lacking in deer instead of dramatically over populated.

White-tailed deer metobolic rate and digestive enzymes change for the winter season at least where it snows alot and it gets very cold. The plant life they feed on is not growing during the winter and has somewhat different nutrition available during extreme winter months.

Misreading the post. Apples are bad when they are fermented or when they are not used to eating them. If they have been eating that kinda food for long term then they have adapted and eventually digest that kinda food. Feeding should be outlawed in all states because it breaks down their fear of humans and may cause them to look for that kind of food stead of what they really need for long term survival. It also causes wildlife to seek out human sources of food rather than their natural feeding areas.
Gotcha, I really don’t have strong feelings either way. the deer by me are under the Apple trees about everyday now eating rotten apples. Lots of apple orchards by me.

It's unfortunate that some people cannot get past the anecdotal evidence to see the bigger picture. It's like saying, "I once saw a motocyclist jump a 300' gap and he was fine, how can you say that riding a motorcycle is dangerous?"

Of course there are specific examples of deer eating anything and everything under the sun and being just fine. And there are examples of them eating a few mouthfuls of lichen and dying en masse. The point is, intentional feeding of wildlife USUALLY does not work out well for the wildlife or the humans and so it is discouraged, except under very specific and controlled situations.

Gotcha, I really don’t have strong feelings either way. the deer by me are under the Apple trees about everyday now eating rotten apples. Lots of apple orchards by me.
I took this picture today. The same thing is going on around here. In the month of March I have a feeling that metabolism and digestion is starting to change back. The snow is melting and exposing different ground vegetation that has been covered and not easily available for the deer. The temperatures are moderating and getting easier on the winter stress put on the deer in the Northern Great Lakes. This deer seemed to be really enjoying the apples on this tree. IMG_20200303_131312419_HDR.jpg

Apple trees grow everywhere around here, and deer eat the hell out of them. Should we cut down all the apple trees? Ive never noticed dead deer around the orchards. Its almost as if it doesnt hurt them

Exactly. Deer have been eating apples since the beginning of deer or apples. :D

Back