Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado OTC archery

Mudranger1

In a crazy turn of events the residents of Colorado actually showed up and we're even listened to after a failed bid at full archery draw.
OTC resident archery remains! (at least for the next 5 years when I'm sure it will be brought up again). Thank you Randy @Big Fin as it's been stated you were doing some help behind the scenes with some! Big win for a change for residents

Last edited:
i did notice and was surprised it hadn't been up on HT already.

definitely great to see some support of residents by the commission on this.

the numbers didn't lie - residents were outnumbered by non residents during otc archery.

That is truly awesome news!

Now I get to throw this in the faces of the residents when they start bitching about overcrowding. Right?

Stop whining you big baby!

(But also please donate to help fight the CATS initiative… it needs all the NR help it can get!).

Are they going to add draw tags for NRs to what are now OTC units, if so, how many tags?
If they were smart and logical, it would be to set the tag amount at 25 percent of the previous years estimated resident participation. That would align with the draw only units and overall significant decrease pressure as otc hunts are a pretty high nr to r percentage right now.

Example. Unit a had 1000 hunters and it was 400 nr and 600 residents (40% nr). Allowing 200 NR tags would bring it to 800 total and that's 25% nr share. Reduction in crowding by 200 nr hunters.

Are they going to add draw tags for NRs to what are now OTC units, if so, how many tags?
Limited means there will be a set number of NR archery tags for units that are currently OTC for NRs. It doesn't mean there will be vastly fewer NRs hunting those units. If CPW actually does what they said they would (MIGHT) do in there initial preferred alternative, which was to address crowding and cut total hunter numbers by 10%, they would need to cut NR tags by greater than 20% over current levels in currently OTC units as the majority of hunters in OTC archery units are NRs. Some OTC units were nearly 70% NRs in the past.
My bet is that they crawfish and make a token attempt to address crowding by proposing a cut to NR tag number by well below the 20%+ needed to achieve a 10% reduction and/or add PLO NR tag codes to the draw.
The good thing about the decision to limit NRs during archery is that if crowding persists and CPW doesn’t cut NR tags, it makes it easy for us to call bullshit as CPW now has tool they claimed they needed.

I think this whole address archery and not otc rifle at same time is going to cause issues. What resident archery hunters are calling a success may come to be a even worse expense to resident rifle hunters. Continuing half-ass fixes will continue to produce half-ass results.

I think this whole address archery and not otc rifle at same time is going to cause issues. What resident archery hunters are calling a success may come to be a even worse expense to resident rifle hunters. Continuing half-ass fixes will continue to produce half-ass results.

It’s unfortunately true.

I can post the numbers later. But, while it’s true that NR have been outnumbering Rs during OTC archery recently, by a decent amount, it’s also true that the total number of R and NR otc archery hunters roughly equals the number of R otc rifle hunters alone.

Which if you take nothing else away from that stat it at least tells us what we all knew was true to begin with: archery hunters are the biggest sniveling bitches around 😉

I don't think there will be a massive shift of OTC archery hunters to OTC rifle. Will some people shift there "I didn't draw an elk tag so CO it is" plan? Yes. But those that annually have chose to do OTC archery vs OTC rifle I don't think will drastically shift. The NR archery camps that went annually will just put in for that unit that is now a draw and maybe they now instead end up having to go every other year instead of every year.

I don't think there will be a massive shift of OTC archery hunters to OTC rifle. Will some people shift there "I didn't draw an elk tag so CO it is" plan? Yes. But those that annually have chose to do OTC archery vs OTC rifle I don't think will drastically shift. The NR archery camps that went annually will just put in for that unit that is now a draw and maybe they now instead end up having to go every other year instead of every year.

Plus, at the risk of overplaying my hand, we all know archery elk hunters don’t consider rifle hunting to be a worthy use of time. So, yeah.

Plus, at the risk of overplaying my hand, we all know archery elk hunters don’t consider rifle hunting to be a worthy use of time. So, yeah.
I do think it will have a bigger impact on rifle simply because of app dates. I think many people are so use to it as a low quality back-up they will just roll with other states results and fall back on a otc rifle tag. Will be interesting...

All NR’s don’t forget to continue to donate to fight this Initiative 2023-2024 #91: Prohibit Trophy Hunting.😂😂😂

Last I heard majority of the donations were from NR’s.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickeells91
Back