Caribou Gear Tarp

Central Coast Tule Elk Hunt

Buzzy

Was a lucky one to get 1 of the 10 bull tags for this unit. I couldn’t find much info on the Camp Roberts base hunt that most people did last year and decided to take the more expensive route and sign up with an outfitter for the peace of mind of not hunting a military base and the uncertainties that come with it. After 24 years of applying I wasn’t going to take any chances.

Signed up with Chad Wiebe of Oak Stone Outfitters and he found me one hell of a bull that stayed on a ranch we could access up until opening day. We found the bull in the am bedded on the wrong side of the fence. Left him and a bunch of other broken up bulls to get out of the 100 degree heat and get some lunch. Came back in the evening and they were pretty much where we left them. They finally got up and started to come to the water hole we were sitting and with 30 minutes of shooting light left he was 300 yards out and never did make that water hole.

He has so much character that I’m over the top happy with him. He’s 49” wide on his outside width and is a 9x10 with a ton of character and mass. We estimated his age at 12 or older and he’s probably a 320” class bull. He looks like he could be regressing with the way he carries his mass throughout his frame.

I can’t recommend Chad enough for his knowledge and contacts in the central coast. I do have some info on how the base elk hunts are being run that I learned during this hunt so if anyone has questions about the Camp Roberts hunt just let me know.IMG_0870.jpegIMG_0869.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! We have Tule elk here. They run through every few days, sometimes less than 50yds from the house and shop. Everytime I see them I get the same thought. "Too bad you guys are protected!"

Nice! We have Tule elk here. They run through every few days, sometimes less than 50yds from the house and shop. Everytime I see them I get the same thought. "Too bad you guys are protected!"
Its too bad CAFW has no plans to establish new elk herds! So much habitat with so few animals.

Great bull Buzzy! You made the most out of a very long wait.

Its too bad CAFW has no plans to establish new elk herds! So much habitat with so few animals.

Great bull Buzzy! You made the most out of a very long wait.
Id sure like it the CDFG thinned the Tomales point herd and reintroduced to other areas!

Back