Caribou Gear

Carbon Barrel Advice for Savage 110

CoHunter1991

I have a savage 110 High Country in 270 win that I love but dam is it heavy at just at 10 lbs. It is very front heavy with a thick contour barrel. After 4 years with it I need to replace its barrel to a carbon version to save weight. I really want a proof barrel but they do not sell Prefit Savage 110 barrels in 270 win... Savage wont sell me one so here i am. This gun is a hammer and Id like to keep it that way so does anyone have any recommendations for a carbon barrel that is high quality? I'm new to the carbon game.

Part two to my advice seeking mission, a carbon barrel will likely run me 1 grand..... do I just buy a new 270 verse putting a $1000 barrel on my $1000 gun?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I’d skip the carbon and go with a sporter weight barrel. You aren’t saving weight with the carbon over the sporter weight barrel. Lots of companies do prefit barrels if you search google. I’ve used preferredbarrelblanks.com with good results

I’d skip the carbon and go with a sporter weight barrel. You aren’t saving weight with the carbon over the sporter weight barrel. Lots of companies do prefit barrels if you search google. I’ve used preferredbarrelblanks.com with good results
100% agree with this. That being said, if you're dead set on carbon, X-Caliber and Carbon Six would be my choices.

Cabelas has the Ultralite on clearance for $1100. It looks like they have 270 Win still available....

If it were me, I probably wouldn't spend the money to go carbon. Like others have stated, you could just drop to a different contour, shorter barrel, flutes, etc

This ^. Thousand dollar lipstick on a pig is a poor choice when you can spend $1100 on another pig with the lipstick already applied! Plus, if it's really a low weight desired and not just feeling good about having a barrel bedazzled with carbon, i think those ultralight proof blanks for savage are lighter than their standard offerings.

This ^. Thousand dollar lipstick on a pig is a poor choice when you can spend $1100 on another pig with the lipstick already applied! Plus, if it's really a low weight desired and not just feeling good about having a barrel bedazzled with carbon, i think those ultralight proof blanks for savage are lighter than their standard offerings.
This is what I ended up doing. I think it is my best option since I really do enjoy this gun. ill swap the barrels and sell the Ultralite action.

Typically - its about the extractor that takes 5 motivated minutes to fix.

Thanks for answering a question directed to me for me, really appreciate it bud. We get it, you like cheap guns with crap actions, crap stocks, crap triggers, crap fit and finish, that you have to do work on to make them usable.

As for the question, had a 30-06 110 that refused to shoot better than about 10MOA, took a barrel scope and it had the roughest barrel I've ever seen. Cerakote job was terrible, action was typical Savage garbage, and the stock cracked after about 50 rounds. Never again.

Thanks for answering a question directed to me for me, really appreciate it bud. We get it, you like cheap guns with crap actions, crap stocks, crap triggers, crap fit and finish, that you have to do work on to make them usable.

As for the question, had a 30-06 110 that refused to shoot better than about 10MOA, took a barrel scope and it had the roughest barrel I've ever seen. Cerakote job was terrible, action was typical Savage garbage, and the stock cracked after about 50 rounds. Never again.
🤣

About the same reaction I have when I see someone fanboying Savage.
You didnt provide a single data point - you just said it "sucks" -i thought canadians were supposed to be friendly ? I would be almost certain cheap optics, loose action screws, or junk mounts/rings were the culprit.

ive had 3 - none of them shot more than moa with most loads. the 223 does it with russian steel garbage ammo. 2 of them consistently outshoot my sako rifle and bergera.

The stock isnt great on entry models - what else is for 500 dollars? The trigger is not perfect - but way better than other rifles. The action doesnt have faults im aware of (less the extractor thats been fixed for many years) - and is exceptional for lock time vs others. Not sure how you broke the stock - never heard of that on any rifle other than from abuse/accident. As for the barrel - how it "looks" has a lot less to do with how it shoots than most people think - and i doubt you looked with a borescope.

You didnt provide a single data point - you just said it "sucks" -i thought canadians were supposed to be friendly ? I would be almost certain cheap optics, loose action screws, or junk mounts/rings were the culprit.

ive had 3 - none of them shot more than moa with most loads. the 223 does it with russian steel garbage ammo. 2 of them consistently outshoot my sako rifle and bergera.

The stock isnt great on entry models - what else is for 500 dollars? The trigger is not perfect - but way better than other rifles. The action doesnt have faults im aware of (less the extractor thats been fixed for many years) - and is exceptional for lock time vs others. Not sure how you broke the stock - never heard of that on any rifle other than from abuse/accident. As for the barrel - how it "looks" has a lot less to do with how it shoots than most people think - and i doubt you looked with a borescope.

Not shooting better than 10MOA could be considered a data point-but go off.

I know how to mount a scope. Never been a problem on my other rifles. Also know to check all screws before shooting-but go off.

110 High Country isn't entry model-but go off.

Better trigger than other rifles doesn't make it a good trigger-but go off.

Savage actions known to be gritty and require work to change that fact-but go off.

Only shot it from bench and bags before the stock cracked near the receiver-but go off.

Did use a borescope, as my grandpa has everything gun-related under the sun so had one available to use-but go off.

Glad they work for you. They don't for a lot of people. Companies don't get reputations for no reason at all.

Not shooting better than 10MOA could be considered a data point-but go off.

I know how to mount a scope. Never been a problem on my other rifles. Also know to check all screws before shooting-but go off.

110 High Country isn't entry model-but go off.

Better trigger than other rifles doesn't make it a good trigger-but go off.

Savage actions known to be gritty and require work to change that fact-but go off.

Only shot it from bench and bags before the stock cracked near the receiver-but go off.

Did use a borescope, as my grandpa has everything gun-related under the sun so had one available to use-but go off.

Glad they work for you. They don't for a lot of people. Companies don't get reputations for no reason at all.
Savage has haters and fans - like remington, ruger, marlin and others. I am suprised to hear that - ive not met a lot of people that didnt like their savage rifle.

I can tell you that gunsmiths/gun makers are copying savage technology - the nutted barrel for a "reason."

Sorry to derail - OP - shouldnt have responded to the candadian, eh?

Last edited:
Savage has haters and fans - like remington, ruger, marlin and others. I am suprised to hear that - ive not met a lot of people that didnt like their savage rifle.

I can tell you that gunsmiths/gun makers are copying savage technology - the nutted barrel for a "reason."

Sorry to derail - OP - shouldnt have responded to the candadian, eh?

If the best insult you have is to call me a Canadian (that’s how you spell it btw), you need to get better material. And you’re also proving true what everyone else in the world thinks of most Americans.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickeells91
Back