Budgeting and forecasting

Bigjay73

Any good online or other easily accessible courses or learning materials for someone needing a crash course course on budgeting and forecasting for a retail business, specifically HVAC materials? I don't need to be an expert, just a good understanding of the processes, strategies and what all those damn acronyms mean lol

Ahhh acronyms. It's how people sound like experts in their field, even if they have no idea what they are talking about. Found this...https://grovehvac.com/hvac-acronyms-and-abbreviations/

Budgeting and forecasting are different. Have you looked hacking a cashflow spreadsheets?

I work in the HVAC industry with chilled, condenser and heating hot water applications. (Usually large facility applications.) Let me know if I can help with anything. I'm in sales for a materials manufacturer, so my budgets and forecasts are mainly directly related to our products. As a rule of thumb I figure the mechanical value to be 20% of the project's overall cost, but that can vary depending on the type of facility it is. I would figure data centers to be higher than 20% for example. I'm assuming you are looking into more general market forecasting though and not project specific? Do you have any historical data to work off of?

Ahhh acronyms. It's how people sound like experts in their field, even if they have no idea what they are talking about. Found this...https://grovehvac.com/hvac-acronyms-and-abbreviations/

Budgeting and forecasting are different. Have you looked hacking a cashflow spreadsheets?
I don't even know what a cashflow spreadsheet is lol. I'll Google it. Thanks!

Edit: googled it, boss and I have been working on one for the remainder of the year as well as for '25. Neat stuff. Funny that I had no idea what it was actually called

Last edited:
I work in the HVAC industry with chilled, condenser and heating hot water applications. (Usually large facility applications.) Let me know if I can help with anything. I'm in sales for a materials manufacturer, so my budgets and forecasts are mainly directly related to our products. As a rule of thumb I figure the mechanical value to be 20% of the project's overall cost, but that can vary depending on the type of facility it is. I would figure data centers to be higher than 20% for example. I'm assuming you are looking into more general market forecasting though and not project specific? Do you have any historical data to work off of?
I was in the field for 25years, mostly industrial. I took a position to manage/grow the parts department of an engineering/ equipment distribution company. We're almost completely an OEM distribution company, but we're planning on opening a full fledged supply house as soon as we find a location. Fortunately, they wanted me for my field and management background, know that I have a lot to learn on the office side of things. Learning a lot already, boss is very intelligent and very easy to work with.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rdelgatti
Back